The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Any recommendations on swapping the volume knob, so it doesn't go from quiet to loud so fast?

I wasn't really considering keeping it, but just might, if this works.

Essentially looking at any recommendation and type of volume pot to switch it to (brand, etc)

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I wonder if this is one of them Linear vs Log pot situations. I'd have to look at a schem to see.

There's also the option (whether lin or log) to use a tapering resistor (and avoid changing the pot at all).

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if this is one of them Linear vs Log pot situations. I'd have to look at a schem to see.

There's also the option (whether lin or log) to use a tapering resistor (and avoid changing the pot at all).
I tried 3 resistors at different values, but all seemed to make it fizzy instead of helping with the taper. Is there a special resistor I should be using? I believe the resistor values were 180, 200, and 220 values.

·
Registered
763 Posts
There's e a mod in London Power's Tonnes of Tone 3 that ( if memory serves me correctly) ties the wiper of the pot wth the splitter section. It's supposed to help with the jump in volume.

If you're looking into a mod let me know and I can dig further.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's e a mod in London Power's Tonnes of Tone 3 that ( if memory serves me correctly) ties the wiper of the pot wth the splitter section. It's supposed to help with the jump in volume.

If you're looking into a mod let me know and I can dig further.
Definitely interested. If you come across it, let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Which model of 800? Master or channel vol. ?
Agree with the others that it is probably due to taper of the pot.
Assuming that the resistors you tried went on the pot, which lugs did it go to?

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's from 1985 and has the master volume. Canadian version. with vertical input jacks.

I did it a while ago. I can track down the mod - I believe I got it off the marshall forum, iirc.

·
Premium Member
11,846 Posts
IMO, JCM800s don't sound so good quiet. They need to be wound up some to sound their best. So I think the volume taper was chosen on purpose - "Those low level sounds aren't so good so we're gonna shoot you right past those to where the good stuff is."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts