The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering picking up a 50 watt 1984 JCM800 4210 combo (specifically, the Canadian model) this weekend. This particular amp comes with a G12T-75 speaker.

But after reading through threads on various forums, it seems that these aren't very highly regarded and have some issues such as channel bleed.

Are these a crappy JCM800, or is some of what I am reading just the internet echo chamber? And was the Canadian version made any differently, and perhaps more reliably, than others? If there is any channel bleed, how difficult is that for a competent amp tech to correct?

Answers to these questions, and any other advice about this particular model, would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Canadian version has more fuses and no 16ohm tap on the output to meet CSA.

Not much of a fan of the jcm800 channel switchers, not the same sound as the single channel MV amps. The channel switcher uses diode clippers for more distortion.

*edit* reread my post above and it sounds pretty negative- while I like the single channel versions better the channel switchers aren't bad amps. Best advice- play it and see!

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
I've owned 2. Didn't like the first. It also crapped out and needed repair.

Thought I'd try it again. Returned it to the kijiji guy the next day, because something funky was going on with it.

tone wasn't anything to write home about.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
I hadn't heard a two-channel 800 until we played with a band called Superheaven - a Peavey VTM/Butcher (can't recall right now) and a 2ch 800. They sounded identical to the recording, and they sounded great. That being said both heads were clean and they had pedals for dirt.

Go try it out. If you like it, buy it.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Like gtrguy said about the differences, mostly CSA safety issues. Also metal toggles instead of plastic rockers I think.
There were early and late versions, the switching was transistor, then IC in the later. I'm not sure which are worse for bleed.
And the bleed is only a concern if you want clean. Can't recall if it can be completely eliminated or just reduced.
I'd think less highly regarded should mean more affordable. :)
Like the others said, let your ears decide.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If they're anything like the 2204/4010 Canuck versions they came with el34's rather than 6550's. Head over to Marshallforum.com lots of info there.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Honestly, just get a JCM900.

IMHO, the 900 High Gain Dual Reverb is what Marshall intended the 800 channel switchers to be.
Any amp that says JCM800 is over priced, at least on Kijiji.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly, just get a JCM900.

IMHO, the 900 High Gain Dual Reverb is what Marshall intended the 800 channel switchers to be.
Any amp that says JCM800 is over priced, at least on Kijiji.

I am looking for something more vintage sounding - say JMP era and '80s metal type tones rather than something modern sounding, which I assume the 900s to be.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The 900 is Marshall's answer to what everyone did with an 800 anyway.
They are basically a JCM800 with a tubescreamer/SD-1 built in along with reverb.

Recommended viewing.... be forewarned though, this guy's videos are addictive !

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
I am looking for something more vintage sounding - say JMP era and '80s metal type tones rather than something modern sounding, which I assume the 900s to be.
See if that Laney VH100 is still on Kijiji/CL.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are basically a JCM800 with a tubescreamer/SD-1 built in along with reverb.

Yeah no kidding eh? This guy has access to more Marshalls than Marshall themselves!

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts

Today we're gonna sheck out...

Johan rocks :D

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
I'm watching Leon Todd's demo of it right now.

Since I only play at home, 100 watts is overkill. I was restricting my search to 50 watts or less.
the volume difference between 50W and 100W is not a whole lot, and a 50W won't get to breakup much sooner than 100W either.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I should mention that, although I am a Marshall fan, I am open to other options.

I am also considering vintage Traynor YBAs that can be modded to Plexi specs or perhaps a YBA1-Mod 1 for a more recent version.

I also really like Peter Green's work with John Mayall and he played Orange amps. There are other guys who play Orange whose tone I like as well so I would be open to an Orange. That being said, I want something vintage sounding that is good for blues and classic rock and don't want anything overly gainy or fizzy. The problem is that I am not familiar enough with Orange's offerings to know which recent ones would fit the bill.

Basically I guess what I want is something that does decent cleans and thick, rich, creamy overdrive.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I'm no detractor of 900's, in fact I think they are vastly under-rated. But in my limited time with them, I was never able to get one to do a good 800 sound.
@adcandour sorry, I missed your post. If you say they're crap, having had a couple, I'll take that to the bank.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts