Registered
1,673 Posts
I hope I am not writing something stupid :
It appeared to me that you have to recognize
the progression the piece is based on in
order to correctly name chords as there could
be inversions that look alike well known
chords at first sight.
Knowing the scale from opening would help though.
Does it make sens or I am lost ?

·
Registered
EJ Strat, Ibanez AZ, '62 Thinskin Tele, EBMM Silhouette Special, Carvin Holdsworth HF2
278 Posts
I hope I am not writing something stupid :
It appeared to me that you have to recognize
the progression the piece is based on in
order to correctly name chords as there could
be inversions that look alike well known
chords at first sight.
Knowing the scale from opening would help though.
Does it make sens or I am lost ?
It's definitely about recognizing some chord progressions that pop up again and again in various standards. The Jerry Coker book "Hearin' the Changes" is all about that. Recognizing those patterns is sort of the key to knowing what to play over a given chord progression.

Usually what's in the Fake Books become the accepted way to play a song (for better or worse). Mainly because that's where most players will first go to learn it. Advanced players will often reharmonize on the fly, or develop their own arrangement, so the "right" chord is a matter of interpretation. Generally has to fit with the melody, though.

Sometimes the original chord changes are quite different from the jazz version. It's fun to dig up the source if you can. Stella By Starlight made no sense to me until I saw "The Uninvited". Hearing it in the opening made perfect sense: it's movie music!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
It's definitely about recognizing some chord progressions that pop up again and again in various standards. The Jerry Coker book "Hearin' the Changes" is all about that. Recognizing those patterns is sort of the key to knowing what to play over a given chord progression.

Usually what's in the Fake Books become the accepted way to play a song (for better or worse). Mainly because that's where most players will first go to learn it. Advanced players will often reharmonize on the fly, or develop their own arrangement, so the "right" chord is a matter of interpretation. Generally has to fit with the melody, though.

Sometimes the original chord changes are quite different from the jazz version. It's fun to dig up the source if you can. Stella By Starlight made no sense to me until I saw "The Uninvited". Hearing it in the opening made perfect sense: it's movie music!
I had a similar experience with If I Were A Bell. I only really knew the various Miles Davis versions before I saw a chart in the Real Book. Miles takes some (friggin' awesome) liberties with the melody that had me completely lost lol.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts