The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be any interest in a bit of an informal study group? I don't have a ton of time right now (new baby) but I've been trying to dedicate 15-20 minutes a night to practice. I'm hoping to choose 1 tune a month and share ideas on chord voicings, comping rhythms, solo ideas etc. Each month a different member would pick the tune. I'm not a virtuoso by any means but I ha e a ton of enthusiasm/patience lol. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which jazz artists do you like to listen to? (guitarists and otherwise)
My guitar guys tend to be Bill Frisell, Julian Lage, Jim Hall, Nels Cline and Grant Green. Otherwise Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, the Max Roach/Clifford Brown group, Sonny Rollins, Coltrane. More modern stuff that catches my ear tends to be Snarky Puppy, Worst Pop Band Ever, Mammal Hands, Wolfgang Muthspiel etc. I dig pretty well anything lol. How about you @greco and @bgreenhouse?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love Bill Frisell. Never thought of him as jazz, but...of course. Don't know what I thought he was. Coltrane i enjoy. Most of what I like of jazz I heard on the show Bosch

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,445 Posts
Warning...I'm all over the map!

General: Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Oscar Peterson, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, Jaco Pastorius, Bill Evans, Marcus Miller, Stanley Turrentine ...this list goes on forever

Guitar: (Canadian) Ted Quinlan, Trevor Giancola, Margaret Stowe, Joe Huron, Dave Thompson, Lorne Lofsky, Sam Kirmayer, Ed Bickert, Reg Schwager

Mike Stern, Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheny, Mimi Fox, Emily Remler, Grant Green, Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell, Larry Carlton, John Scofield, George Benson, Tom Ibarra

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I'm in. I may have to dumb it down a bit with simpler inversions and there's probably a lot I can't play but I love thinking about music in this way.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Well, life is strange.

Just last week I was thinking it would be cool to have an 'Official Jazz Thread' , but just didn't for whatever reason.

I will say there are a handful at least of members here who are college program grads, teachers, gigging, full time jazz guys. And another handful maybe who are totally steeped in the jazz world . Live the genre and know the history etc.

I could talk to any musician for hours about useless information regarding music of the 50's/60'/'70's because that's what I grew up with and played/gigged. I can play rock, country, blues etc. and get by. I got the jazz calling organically nearly 15 years ago now after hearing Kenny Burrell on the radio. I said to myself ' I need to do that '. Just the way it happened when I heard The Beatles Roll Over Beethoven in grade 6.

I think this thread is a great idea but I am NOT a jazz musician. I like to say I make 'jazz like sounds'. If you took your wife for dinner and there was a guy in the corner playing solo jazz guitar that could be me and you may enjoy it. That's all!

Having said that this is a real rabbit hole but I'll say a couple things I do know I think.

- decide what type of jazz you wanna play. Solo chord melody or with a trio etc. It can help simplify your thinking as you learn. They can be quite different and have their own task masters. Some guys who are masterful playing with others have difficulty with chord melody. They're kind of their own thing.

- learn standards, learn standards, learn standards

- jazz is a language. Learn to speak the language. ( if I dropped you off on a street corner in Paris and you started talking English let's say, not many would know what you're saying, and you'd sound out of place. Same thing.) How? Listen to a lot of jazz you like to climatize the ears and then start transcribing it. It's hard work. There's no shortcuts.

- There's another forum called The Jazz Forum. Just Google it. A very similar format to GC and TONS of chat/info/playing vids etc.

There. That's it for now. Once again, I'm NOT 'that jazz guy'. I just love the music and have worked like hell at it . I maintain my humility. If what I say is helpful, great. If not, it's just worth 2 cents.

I was gonna say nothing but hey, life is short. Ask me how I know. I'll shut up now and hopefully some of the folks much more qualified than I will say.... something.

Jeez, Chatty Cathy

·
Registered
EJ Strat, Ibanez AZ, '62 Thinskin Tele, EBMM Silhouette Special, Carvin Holdsworth HF2
280 Posts
Great idea!

I studied jazz through private lessons for a few years. I haven't kept up with my jazz practice regimen (i.e. I've been lazy and I now suck), but it definitely changed how I approach music in general.

Having a good teacher for jazz is the way to go, in my opinion. But I understand that may be difficult right now. There's a lot of good content available online too, but as a beginner, it's hard to know where to start.

I've been really impressed with Jens Larsen's approach. I think he has some of the clearest explanations and I like his emphasis on making music with what he teaches. I think you can do a free trial on his website. He starts with the basics there.

(I am also not the jazz guy. I sometimes make jazz-like noises as well.)

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Here are some jazz, modern jazz, bebop etc guitarists I like:

Eddie Lang
Charlie christian
Django reinhardt
George van eps
Jimmy raney
Tal farlow
Grant green
Mundell lowe
Kenny burrell
Wes montgomery
Jim hall
George benson
Ted Greene
Pete bernstein

modern:
Bill frisell
Pat metheny
John Scofield
Kurt rosenwinkel
Ben monder
Adam rogers
Lage lund
Julian Lage

others I don’t listen to much but are excellent:

jonathan kreisberg
Mike moreno
John abercrombie
Miles Okazaki

local favorited:
Rob piltch
Reg Schwagger
Lucian gray
Ben bishop
Lee wallace
Nathan hiltz
Jesse barksdale
Sean clarey
Andrew marzotto

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@teleboli definitely speaks the truth! This could be a neat place for those who like to make "jazz noises" to exchange noise ideas and for beginners to get their feet wet. I'm gonna be presumptuous and post a chart I found for Art Farmer's version of Days of Wine and Roses (standards, standards, standards!). O have found at least one error (I think an A should be a Bb but I'll mention it in the chart post). I'll tab out the Mickey Baker type voicings, the Hall-like shell voicings I worked out for some of them last night amd perhaps part of my embarassingly bad solo arrangement. People can then add their own thoughts, figures etc. and we'll see where it goes from there. Don't be shy; I truly think everyone can contribute SOMETHING even if it's just a strum pattern idea.

@greco Assuming your serious, the general idea of an inversion is taking a chord triad and replacing the root with the 5th or 3rd. I imagine that's overly simplified and you could do it with other intervals depending on the voicing (9ths or 7ths for example). For C major you would take C-E-G (root, 3rd, 5th) and then put the G on the bottom making it G-E-C. I think that's first inversion? There are likely also more rules but that's my limited understanding lol

1 - 20 of 63 Posts