The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright so im looking into getting another japanese fender. I wanted a tele but I really want a 68 reissue stratocaster. ive been finding it hard to find one at a decent price and im not even sure what colours they come in or if they even come with rosewood fretboards. can anyone point me in the right direction(place that can get me one) or give me some info? a lot of the sites are in japanese :(

·
Registered
316 Posts
Send a PM or post a message for our own sneakypete he's on foot patrol in Japan in constant search of Japanese Fenders. His nephew is also a member of this board; sorry can't remember his handle though; he's his pimp here in Canada. Sorry couldn't resist

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
'68 Strat Reissue

I've got an old Fender poster that came with my 60's Fotoflame strat in 1995.

The poster has info on the 68's. Here it is:

Colors: Vintage white, or 3 tone sunburst
Pickguard: White
Headstock: Large
Machine Heads: Vintage Style
Neck: Maple
Neck Width at Nut: 1.65"
Fretboard: Maple 7..25" radius
Switch: 5 way
Pickups: Fender Vintage Reissue
Controls: Master Vol, Tone, Tone
Trem: "Vintage Non-Trem" (could it mean vintage, OR hardtail with a comma missing?)

Vintage Guitars 88 on 14th Street in Calgary has several MIJ strats (as of Friday past) I think one of them could have been a '68 in 3T burst. I didn't look at it that closely. His number is 403 338-2088
His website is vintagemusic88.com
I am definitely NOT affiliated.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I just went to the Vintage88 website.

When are Cdn guitar stores going to realize they could sell stuff if they could learn to post their inventory online?

Look at 12th fret, they do a good job with online marketing.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
dwagar said:
I just went to the Vintage88 website.

When are Cdn guitar stores going to realize they could sell stuff if they could learn to post their inventory online?

Look at 12th fret, they do a good job with online marketing.

I couldn't agree more. Seems like a basic marketing move. Owner of Vintage88 is an older guy and doesn't seem to be as plugged in to technology (not necessarily good or bad). But he probably likes it that way.

·
Registered
375 Posts
drift_boat said:
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-13901.htm

Just came across it by chance. $600us.

I am not affiliated.
Ive got one just likethat. Mine is a 2 piece beautifull grain, could pass as a Custom Shop guitar,with the joint not in the middle. I think it makes it more resonant. I have the white guard, but right now it has a Tourtise guard with black pickup covers, and it looks real cool. I never play it cause Im just a Tele guy. Killer strat though.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
I saw a olympic white one with maple neck large headstock at Songbird Music in Ottawa. The pickups were lace sensors and they are asking $600 Cdn,

It is not on their website so you will have to call

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
looking through their 2007 catalog, I see they have only one `68 model...comes in 3 tone, black or vintage white lists at 96,6oo yen...Texas Specials and Schaller F tuners, alder body with steel bridge block.
These days only the top end guitars have 2 piece bodies and are listed as such like the DiMarzio series, but even the cheaper models of that series are 3 or more. Not that it should make a huge difference. However older models can be 2 pieces as well as custom editions but nowadays 3 pieces is very common. Gonna be poly too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sneaky,

How can you recognize a MIJ/CIJ "domestic" Fender vs. an export model (which are lower quality I've heard with the exception of the JV series way back).

Also, I've noticed Alder listed on many domestic current Fender Strats but understand many 'exports' were basswood. Is this correct?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
two questions that have never really been answered with any certainty...lots of opinions and theories though. Since I`m in Japan, I reckon my older FJs are domestics but just which of those were also exported is unknown. I`ve also read most of what FJ exported was basswood at least guys who own em say theirs are basswood while over here the majority of low end stuff is basswood but not all...a couple of artist models for example...and I don`t personally think basswood is all that bad even though it seems to get a bad rap from a lot of guys.
Some folks speculate the letters stamped in the neck pocket of the body indicate domestic/export model, but again, none of this actually comes from Fender Japan...maybe...maybe not.
FJ use/used ash, alder, basswood and sen for bodies but sen seems to have been dropped or at least I don`t see it listed anymore. Mysterious ain`t it?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
looks good. The natural is not listed in their new catalog...but that happens a lot expecially with shop orders. I like the matching headstock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts