The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no time to play today with the great spring weather, but I had to take pictures for a possible long distance sale; knowing that this group may never be the same again, I took a family portrait of my sponsored immigrant family.

I have started to try and divest some and put the El Degas up on Kijiji locally for what I felt was a quick sale price. As a result, both LP copies may be on there way to Montreal.

Locally all I got was harassment and trade offers.

The funny thing is I got solid interest from 5 individuals from Toronto, 1 from Muskoka, 1 from Manitoba, and one from Montreal. The Montreal interest is who I like the most at this point. He has even considered making the trip to pickup (train or plane). He wanted to see the rest of the family, so I sent him a picture, and thought I post it here as well.
Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I still love that EPI ET-290!

John
thegrumpyoldman

Reactions: Tone Chaser

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still love that EPI ET-290!

John
thegrumpyoldman
Did you ever play one of these John?

The keepers in this bunch for me are the ET-290 and the Yamaha SA-60. I also really like the ET-285 bass and Tokai Hard Puncher.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the two LP's bolt on or set neck?

They look pretty slick, btw.
They are both bolt on necks and in sweet condition, almost as close to original as possible. I have the original parts. I have Gibson knobs on the Hohner, only because I cracked a piece of the outer ring on one of the original witch hat knobs. The Hohner is an awesome player with a very slim neck and quality original tuners.

The El Degas has a very fat neck for a Japanese guitar, almost 60's Gibson feel. This guitar also has all the original parts to go with it.

I have always been tempted to hot rod these, but I felt that they were worth it to someone else, as stock as possible. I always got a kick out of what these did in stock form.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Did you ever play one of these John?

The keepers in this bunch for me are the ET-290 and the Yamaha SA-60. I also really like the ET-285 bass and Tokai Hard Puncher.
Sadly, no, but I have always wanted to...

John
thegrumpyoldman

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
If i had to guess why you had no luck locally, i'd say it probably has something to do with your closeness to the U.S. Border.

Nice axes.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What the cornet/wilshire story?
Are you asking for more info about the Epiphone ET-290?

Wikipedia has good info on the Japanese ET-series guitars. The original American made Epiphone Crestwood, Wilshires and the like had set necks, p-90, NYC mini hums, etc. They were brought about with the intention to compete against the popular the Fender Stratocaster. The originals, are quite pricey and collectable.

The Japanese ET-series are a tribute/re-issue kind of deal. When you study them, you may actually wonder why they bolted the neck on, when it obviously looks like glue would do the job. It looks like a set neck with a bolt on feature.
The guitars are light weight, have a belly cut that is not as deep as a Strat, and very comfortable to play. They are quite sweet and versatile sounding clean (almost Jazzy at times), and really raucus when you add fuzz and OD. The action can be set 'gunslinger low', and be an absolute joy to play if you like a vintage fret. The neck is very similar to guitars that came out of the Gakki plants (Yamaha). This body style actually fits into some of my molded Fender cases with no mods, and a little modification may need to be made on some of the others, (push on the foam a little in a place or two).

So it is kind of a strat in some ways, with the punch of humbuckers, but overall it's own thing. I could post pictures some time in a separate post. Mine is all original, natural wear/relic, and fun to play. In the last few years I have started to leave the more unique guitars out on stands, to appreciate more often. I feel bad for forgetting about this particular guitar for several years. I am a Strat guy first; this unique variation finds a more natural place in my hands, but has a seventies Yamaha feel to the neck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts