The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Japanese Carpentry

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  sakana 
#1 ·
Thought this was very cool, so I'm sharing it here.

Enjoy!

#4 ·
Good video and beautiful furniture that they produce. I wish I had more time to do more woodworking.

#6 ·
I saw that footage before. There is a good series on You Tube called...Japanology... that covers many facets of traditional Japanese culture. We brought back a lot Japanese antiques when we returned to Canada from Japan in 2015...tansu, ranma, baskets, carvings, metal pieces, ceramics etc. We use the tansu for our clothing, we have several old wooden boxes, some going back to the Edo period, others from the Meiji period and we are well aware of the Japanese method of carpentry using only wood, some with hidden drawers inside...we have pieces made from many kinds of wood and Zelcova may be my favourite, it has beautiful grain. The boxes we have still function like the day they were made, the workmanship is outstanding, but it is a dying art in Japan, so many young people don`t want to carry on many of the traditions anymore, they`d rather work for big companies and move to the cities. I used to watch a series in Japan that concentrated on many traditional arts and crafts and the vast majority of craftsman were elderly, there are some youngsters carrying on family names but not like it used to be. There is a series called...Before, After.....kind of like a Japanese This Old House...that is really cool to watch and shows how some Japanese carpenters and architects carry on traditional design and workmanship. I`ve been to shrines and temples that were built hundreds of years ago and it was very moving to walk paths that people have been walking for centuries. I was able to buy some old Japanese pull saws while living there, they still work great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.