The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
Very interesting. I wonder how this would apply to an electric guitar. I have a pedal tuner which I always thought was a bit off. The most pleasing sound to my ears was always a tiny bit flat on the tuner.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
I tried it. Didn't like it. I would imagine that it depends largely on the set-up and intonation of one's particular instrument. My guitar certainly sounded out of tune - especially with the lower strings - slightly better with a capo on, but still not good.

I would have been curious to hear him tune his guitar to "standard" pitch for comparison.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not too sure about it myself. I thought maybe the JT enthusiast would find it just the ticket to perfecting his cover tunes. Also not quite sure if I'm reading my snark correctly.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
It makes a bit of sense. I agree with bw66 that each instrument will need varying adjustments.

I tune in some very weird ways.

examples:

- tuning a G chord and then tweak the 1st three strings to a D
- tuning to a power chord
- tuning with open strings (adjacent strings)

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I watched the video and found it interesting...
I also think that you need to start with a tuner that is accurate enough so that you dont eyeball the readings.
If I did have a tuner that was cent worthy ( and I don't) I would also try taking 50% off all the recommended readings for each string and see how that worked out.

JUst to recap. TAylor recommends the following :
High E = -3 cent
B = -6
G= -4
D= -8
A= -10
Low E = -12

Im going to have to resolve this cause I find it very interesting.
I also know that for some of my guitars, open string tuning on my tuner does not have the desired effect.

G.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
I also know that for some of my guitars, open string tuning on my tuner does not have the desired effect.
I think this is key - if you're happy with your guitar's tuning, why muck with it? If not, then try different things.

I also find it interesting that the green light comes on at +/- 3 cents on my tuner.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Well, I do have CENT's on my tuner so I gave it a try knowing full well that it was a stupid idea. Surprisingly, it sounds pretty good when I picked the song "Creep" after re-tuning. The jury is still out on this one but I wish I had the hours back that I spent over the years making sure my strings were tuned to "0" cents (440 hz)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.