The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm a student looking for a new guitar since the one I got right now doesn't cut it. I'm more of a Strat player and I like more the Strat over the Les Paul or SG...although they look nicer xD. I like to play rock like Rush and sometimes, I play Pink Floyd and I even sometimes play heavy metal. So I would like to get a guitar that has at least a neck single coil for the bluesy tones and a bridge humbucker for the heavier stuff. A floyd would be nice but not totally required...at least some sort of floating bridge. I've been checking guitars. on Home page and a few guitars caught my eye. An ESP LTD M100FM , a Jackson SDX Adrian Smith, or a used Fender Stratocaster HSS Made In Mexico. I would like to know your opinions on which would fit me the best. If you have any other suggestions, they would be appreciated. A would like to play under 800-850CAN$. Thank you in advance and have a good day!

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Personally, unless you are big into doing crazy whammy dives like Van Halen, Vai, and the like I would avoid a Floyd.

I would reccomend you look for an HSS Squire Classic Vibe Strat. IMO they are a superior guitar to the Mexican Std. Fenders, and are cheaper.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
THe Only difference between a Strat with HB /Floyd rose and a Jackson with HB/Floyd Rose is the neck

Fender neck: 42 MM wide nut, 9.5 inch straight radius modern C profile

Jackson neck: 43mm nut, Compound radius neck 12-16 inch, Thin C neck profile (similar to Ibanez Wizard neck)

That's the main differences. Electronics will be similar as they are both stratocasters (Jackson and Charvel used to work at Fender at one time)
They are both owned by Fender Inc.

The Fender will be more generalized feeling, A Jack of all trades guitar that one guy will play country on, the next guy will play Heavy Metal, Same guitar, Set up.

The Jackson neck is specifically designed for rock/heavy metal.

Depending on your budget, you could pick up the Fender, because it's usually cheaper, then order in a Warmoth Neck with a Wizard neck profile and compound radius, Slap it on your fender body, set it up and you'd have the same thing as the Jackson model you're looking at.

·
Premium Member
16,616 Posts
The used MIM for $450 would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Of the ones you posted, I would go with the Adrian Smith -- the feature set alone makes it decent value, though always better to go used. You could also look for a used Mexican Strat with a Floyd -- even if it is twin humbuckers, that can be changed with a pickguard/pickup swap.

As for the M100FM, I have yet to hear a guitar made of Agathis that sounds good to me, and you can get much better from ESP/LTD on the used market.

Have you considered Ibanez? Their RG line is very versatile, and the things are everywhere.

·
Registered
662 Posts
+1 to the Ibanez rg series. Buy a used rg350dx and pocket the other $450-$500, or use it to buy a kickass used amp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts