Votes: 40 51.9%
  • Precision

Votes: 37 48.1%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when I sell one of my fretless basses, it's time for another SX project.

I play classic rock covers, so either a Precision or Jazz would work, but I can't decide. The jazz is a bit more verstile, but the P is so simple and straight forward.

I'll be keeping one fretless and it is a Jazz.

Jazz bass in Vintage Yellow...

or

Precision in Misty Silver...

Either one will receive a tortoise shell pick guard.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I voted P. i like the looks better...
and you didnt include Ibby as an option.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Despite the poll results, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the P.

Hey Xanadu - looking for a fretless J? Sure you are.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
i saw your thread in the FS thread, and thought about it. But I'm saving up for a new computer, so no.:frown:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Xanadu said:
i saw your thread in the FS thread, and thought about it. But I'm saving up for a new computer, so no.:frown:

well, feel free to throw me an offer if you change your mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry if it's in INCREDIBLY stupid question, but can someone tell me what's the difference between a Jazz and a Precision ?

Is it only the look ?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The jazz has 2 single coil pickups, whereas the P has a single split pickup.

With the "real" Fender varieties, the jazz has a very slim neck and the P has a beefier neck.

In very simple terms tone-wise, a jazz is a bit more growly and the P bass has more of a thump to it with a little less bite.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I voted for the P. Just because I already have a Jazz.

·
Registered
97 Posts
mandocaster said:
Can I vote for both?

I have a Precision body & guts with a Jazz neck. The best of both worlds.

Yup, that's the cat's meow... or a nice P/J set up on a precision body/jazz neck or even a P/J on a Jazz body/Jazz neck...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had an American Fender Precision Deluxe for a number of years and just loved the sound but just hated the neck. The thing was incredibly heavy too. I wonder if the Jazz model is lighter. I am assuming that the neck is thinner. I should take a closer look.

·
Premium Member
16,658 Posts
I like the P - J pickup configuration on a Jazz bass.

(bridge = P, neck = J)

Great flexibility. Plays like a dream.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Milkman said:
I like the P - J pickup configuration on a Jazz bass.

(bridge = P, neck = J)

Great flexibility. Plays like a dream.
Do you mean the other way around or are you talking totally custom? I've never seen a set-up like that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
james on bass said:
Do you mean the other way around or are you talking totally custom? I've never seen a set-up like that.
I saw and played a Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass that had that combination. Fine bass for just a real serious price!

·
Registered
135 Posts
jroberts said:
That has a J in the bridge and a P in the neck, which is quite a common configuaration for later-model P-basses. Never seen a P in the bridge and a J in the neck.

FWIW, I have a Jazz Bass that I quite enjoy. I bought it because I am a guitar player who once got a regular gig playing bass, and wanted something with a neck that felt similar to a guitar. If I were to dive into bass seriously, I'd probably get a P-bass, though. The J is nice. A good variety of tones to be had, and a very comfortable neck. I just love the sound of a P-bass, though.
You are right and I stand corrected. Then I have not seen a P in the bridge and a J in the neck. Are there any stock basses that offer that combination? What would be the sound advantages to that?

·
Premium Member
16,658 Posts
james on bass said:

No, sorry of course you're right. I meant P = neck. Brain fart. Thanks.None

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Milkman said:
No, sorry of course you're right. I meant P = neck. Brain fart. Thanks.None

Not a problem. I was concerned that there was something out there I hadn't seen before. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts