The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intonation problem with my SG, I can tune it up, and the intonation is good at the 12th fret, but at the first, second, third, etc. it's sharp like half a semi. I've never really cared because It sounded fine when I played bar chords, but it's a real bitch when I'm playing open chords. What's wrong with the guitar, and how can I fix it?
:food-smiley-015:

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It sounds like your nut is too high.

Try this, behind the 3rd fretwire press the G# note, over the first fretwire see what kind of clearance you have. It should be minute. You should barely be able to tap it for clearance. If it's too high, you'll be bending the first few fret notes sharp.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thats what a buddy of mine said too...it's not rediculously high, i dont think its any higher than my other guitars.
wait..compared to the rg it's pretty high, but still not alot

blast!! i cant spell today.

can i just remove the nut, sand it down and put it back on?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lester B. Flat said:
Assuming your guitar is properly intonated, you might try this:
http://www.stagepass.com/tuning.html

It'll get you closer than just using 12th fret harmonics and an electronic tuner. Old stretched strings will also cause intonation and tuning problems.
yeah, I know about that. I'm pretty sure it's the nut height. It's way off.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Xanadu said:
can i just remove the nut, sand it down and put it back on?
Better to bring each string down properly, then file the top down. You'd never get the right height without it being in the guitar.

Have a look at www.frets.com and www.stewmac.com

If you can get your hands on a copy of Dan Erlewine's 'How to make your Electric Guitar play great' - a really good guide.

I usually set the outside E strings, then use a radius gauge to set the others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts