The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Loaned my Tele & flight case to a friend last year; here's the result.
It's time I fixed it -
Any advice on a repair strategy (besides taking it to the shop)?
I'm thinking

a) a rivet or two (my rivet gun does not need access to the back)
b) epoxy
c) ?

I don't see taking out the case innards as an option is it?
Unless someone can assure me it's an easy process!
Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Geeze. How does that even happen? Did your friend drop kick it?

For me personally, I’d go with option C. I’d go to the hardware store, grab a 5/16” nut driver bit and some 5/16” x 1/4” self tapping screws. Drill a small pilot hole in the hinges, then drive the self tappers in. They’ll hold as well as rivots will, and you don’t need to be able to access both sides of the fastener.

Rivots could work, but I’d avoid the epoxy; it’s messy to work with, and it’ll probably hold for a while, but I guarantee it’ll fail on you when you least expect it.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This may not be helpful but when that happens to me I just buy a new case. I use it as a chance to buy a better one.
That IS one idea I hadn't considered... guitarman2 - do you buy cases online (if so, where) or locally?

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geeze. How does that even happen? Did your friend drop kick it?

For me personally, I’d go with option C. I’d go to the hardware store, grab a 5/16” nut driver bit and some 5/16” x 1/4” self tapping screws. Drill a small pilot hole in the hinges, then drive the self tappers in. They’ll hold as well as rivots will, and you don’t need to be able to access both sides of the fastener.

Rivots could work, but I’d avoid the epoxy; it’s messy to work with, and it’ll probably hold for a while, but I guarantee it’ll fail on you when you least expect it.
It was agonizing. He'd partially f'd it, then brought it back to me and before I could say anything --demonstrated-- how he'd done it, forcing the latch - and thereby made it 10x worse.
Self tapping - excellent idea, and one I hadn't considered.
Q: would you consider rivets as the top choice if I don't need access to both sides? (My gun does not need back access.)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
That IS one idea I hadn't considered... guitarman2 - do you buy cases online (if so, where) or locally?
Don't listen to my advice. I'm the guy thats more apt to find the best and spend more than I should. I have been lucky occasionally to find something nice on Kijiji that was available when I've had a need. But generally I have the bad habit of overspending.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Q: would you consider rivets as the top choice if I don't need access to both sides? (My gun does not need back access.)
I would try the rivets first, because you already have them on hand and that would be less money out of pocket on this basket case. In the event that the rivets don’t hold, you can always drill them out and then try the self tapping method.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would try the rivets first, because you already have them on hand and that would be less money out of pocket on this basket case. In the event that the rivets don’t hold, you can always drill them out and then try the self tapping method.
Thumbs up.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't listen to my advice. I'm the guy thats more apt to find the best and spend more than I should. I have been lucky occasionally to find something nice on Kijiji that was available when I've had a need. But generally I have the bad habit of overspending.
Last Q: I had a look at the Tweed case on Amazon. There's one on my local CL too. It looks great, not too $$$ either... and gets horrid reviews re: quality of materials. Any thoughts on the tweed tele/strat case? (Or any light case generally)

·
Premium Member
17,815 Posts
Last Q: I had a look at the Tweed case on Amazon. There's one on my local CL too. It looks great, not too $$$ either... and gets horrid reviews re: quality of materials. Any thoughts on the tweed tele/strat case? (Or any light case generally)
I bought an inexpensive Strat/Tele tweed case once. Don't do it..or be very careful!
They can look great but are often very poorly constructed.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought an inexpensive Strat/Tele tweed case once. Don't do it..or be very careful!
They can look great but are often very poorly constructed.
Greco, are you saying there are good & bad tweed cases? Separated by country, year, etc?? More details appreciated.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I just bought a Wildwood exclusive 52 thin skin telecaster that came with a really nice tweed case. I love it. It looks great. That being said it will probably sit stored in my closet. I'll probably start gigging again soon and if\when that happens I'll have to find another case. The problem with the tweed case is they aren't super durable. Mainly they get dirty real easy and a dirty tweed case, in my opinion looks awful. I've owned a number of tweed in the past and they don't hold up real well.

EDIT: Jus t seen what greco said. He's right. Even more expensive tweed case I've had don't hold up real well. They are more meant for period correct.

·
Premium Member
17,815 Posts
Greco, are you saying there are good & bad tweed cases? Separated by country, year, etc?? More details appreciated.
It was quite some time ago.
However, it was "flimsy" with poor hinges and locks and and a handle that wasn't secured well to the case. I suspect it was made in China.
Nothing against the Chinese is inferred by that.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
It was quite some time ago.
However, it was "flimsy" with poor hinges and locks and and a handle that wasn't secured well to the case. I suspect it was made in China.
Nothing against the Chinese is inferred by that.
My last Custom shop Nocaster came with a really small tweed case that was ridiculously flimsy, very poor hinges and locks. Supposedly that was period correct for 1951. The 52 AVRI comes with a better quality tweed case but its still not that durable.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Just take it to a luggage shop and get it fixed correctly. I had a Taylor latch fixed for $15. Life is too short and guitars are too expensive to dick around.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just take it to a luggage shop and get it fixed correctly. I had a Taylor latch fixed for $15. Life is too short and guitars are too expensive to dick around.
I'm moving to Victoria.... I called my local luggage repair shop & they quoted me $100 to have a look. Whoa!
That said, I'll look around - it's a great idea, thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts