The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and planning for a Gibson R9. I've gone through my budget plan tonight and I will have more than enough cash for a brand new R9 by March, 2023.
Although I will be looking at the used market. I did peek at Kijiji tonight and if that is any indication of used prices then it looks like I'll be buying new. There were 2 60th anniversary R9's, making them 2019's. One was asking $8,000 and the other was $8.500. So one is priced $299 less than new and the other is priced $200 more than new.
Since I'll have the option of used or new I really don't care as long as I get a great guitar. It will be my last major guitar purchase of this magnitude. Its the last piece to take me in to retirement.
I hope that used prices will be a little more sane. There is an ad on Kijiji for a 60th anniversary R9 that says theres a pending deal. His ask was $7,100. At least thats more what I could consider so when I'm ready I hope there are a couple to look at more in line with that price.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Sounds like an exciting journey! I was thinking of the same until Covid hit and prices leapt up.

My sense right now is that the used market is finally starting to cool. I would keep an eye out for the prices of stuff to come down. You do ‘t seem to be in a rush, so keep en eye out. 6 months from now prices could be way better (or not, what do I know?)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Mark's Guitar Loft has a couple in the $5350-5650 US range (about $7300 CAD), but you have to add cost of freight and importing. That's where I found my R9 back on '06.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mark's Guitar Loft has a couple in the $5350-5650 US range (about $7300 CAD), but you have to add cost of freight and importing. That's where I found my R9 back on '06.
By the time I add shipping, brokerage charges, etc, I may as well buy in Canada new. And although in the past I have taken chances buying expensive guitars with out an in hand evaluation, on this guitar I won't. I need to have it in hands to evaluate first.

·
Premium Member
20,226 Posts
You should also consider boutique builders such as Bartlett, Yaron, or Florance. These are generally superior guitars.
I also come into threads recommending guitars an extra 20%+ over what OP is looking for. They might be a little better, but not by a lot (diminishing returns) and way harder to sell on down the line (things a number of forum goers end up doing).

and he wouldnt own a gibson 1959 historic reissue. When you know what you want its best not to compromise.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
8,712 Posts
.. I need to have it in hands to evaluate first.
For sure, but even then there might be another one somewhere that fits a little better.

I think I'd start by trying whatever is around new in Cosmo or L7M see how it goes and if they are consistent.

I'd hate to buy one of these crackers and discover that I like my standard better - I could see that happening to me .. lol

Is the R8 neck thicker than the R9 or both near enough the same.

I have a lot of guitars I need to sell; they wouldn't add up to an R8 new but at one time I was thinking trade them rather than deal with buyers coming to the door and maybe buy an R something.

Then it occurred to me that I'll soon be needing a new truck as this one is 12 years old ... lol

·
Premium Member
20,226 Posts
R8 has a bit more shoulder. Different neck shapes throughout the years for both. The CR8 I tried at l&m seemed to have less shoulder than my newer R8 did.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I see there is an R0 in the classifieds right now, if you are okay with the slightly thinner neck.

We do enjoy trying to spend your money.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts