The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a modern guy, but I can get around most things. One thing I cannot stand is Itunes...I feel that I need to be a brain surgeon to put music on an old Ipod or Iphone....it has the be the most frustrating program ever. So much for new tunes on my sound dock tomorrow.

Does anyone know a way to drag and drop files onto an old Ipod without I-hate-apple-tunes?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I hear you brother. Hate iTunes. Couldn't be much less user friendly. There is a way to drag and drop within iTunes but I avoid the program so much I forget how to do it.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I've spent more time shutting things "off" in itunes than I spend in it! Seriously, stop fucking trying to sync every device I own!!!!!!!

Now that I have it somewhat functional I refuse to update it because every update seems to default to "Total Apple Control" mode.

It's a piece of crap that is unnecessarily complicated and difficult all because it is designed to make you buy stuff from the istore/Apple. I will seriously look at non Apple products the next time I consider a new phone. OTOH, I barely use itunes anymore having subscribed to Spotify. Almost everything I want is there.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear it. I will never, I repeat, NEVER buy another apple device as long as I live...proprietary nonsense!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I also hate iTunes but use it all the time to transfer music to my wife's iPad and iPhone. A two click affair. I imagine it would be the same for a iPod.

Plug in device. iTunes open. Click on Library at top to show music in your library. Click and drag album or tracks you want into the device (iPhone, iPad) that is shown in left hand column under Devices. Done.

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
Just have to find out where the files are stored outside of the actual program, and then copy/paste from there. Much easier on a PC than a mac that way (usually C drive, program files, itunes, library, voila) - no clue how to do it on a mac. Which is funny, because now I own a mac.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try Media Monkey, I've had some success with an old iPod classic and iPod shuffles.

MediaMonkey » Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter
Thank you, I will look into that

I also hate iTunes but use it all the time to transfer music to my wife's iPad and iPhone. A two click affair. I imagine it would be the same for a iPod.

Plug in device. iTunes open. Click on Library at top to show music in your library. Click and drag album or tracks you want into the device (iPhone, iPad) that is shown in left hand column under Devices. Done.
I've tried that. It wont let me drag the files to the Ipod. The highlighted box in the Ipod just flashes...thats after I muck about and actually find the library in C drive (not the content on the device)
I'm wondering if the Ipod is faulty as it keeps shutting down requiring a reset to turn it on

Just have to find out where the files are stored outside of the actual program, and then copy/paste from there. Much easier on a PC than a mac that way (usually C drive, program files, itunes, library, voila) - no clue how to do it on a mac. Which is funny, because now I own a mac.
I can add music to I tunes, I cant seem to transfer it to my device

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't know. I used that method to transfer files from my PC to my wife's iPod nano this afternoon. Just dragged them over from the library to the iPod under Devices in the left hand column. The icon flashed then transfered the files.
The process is the same if I use my PC or her Mac.

As others have mentioned there are several programs available for PC or Mac that will allow you to transfer files without using iTunes.

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
If the iPod keeps shutting down, I'm guessing it's faulty.

I got a used one from a family member, and it won't hold the charge long enough to sync up with my computer. I'm willing to bet that when it was shipped, that was not the case. Not sure if it's worth trying to get fixed or actually buying one.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone, I managed to do a transfer. as fun as a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray

If the iPod keeps shutting down, I'm guessing it's faulty.

I got a used one from a family member, and it won't hold the charge long enough to sync up with my computer. I'm willing to bet that when it was shipped, that was not the case. Not sure if it's worth trying to get fixed or actually buying one.
It is pretty old and has been through a full wash and dryer...but aside from the semi frequent crash while off the dock, it still works. When it quits for good, I'll buy something else instead of trying to fix it

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe the tumble dry cycle was just too much for it to handle??!!
Yeah, that was years ago. It didnt work then and I tossed it in a drawer and forgot about it for years
I recently found it, tried it and voila!

Actually, I just remembered. It only went through the wash. I recall putting it in a bag of rice to draw out the moisture

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
Aside from the iMacs I have an iPod.....1gig iPod. It works, I think. I use iTunes on the one iMac for the internet radio on occasion. Don't see any reason to use iTunes to listen to music. Too much of a PIA.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
What I don't like about Itunes if the fact that once you add a folder to your library, you cant remove it after. There's not way to get a list of the folders you have added to your library.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts

Except every eleventeenth time my iphone or ipad doesn't show up under itunes, leading to a ridiculous set of steps to get it to work (recognized by apple, they give you the steps to fix it, but don't fix it themselves). Then god forbid you upgrade itunes because "sync mania" is in da house! Figure it out apple, my phone is 16 gigs and my ipad is 64 gigs. I cannot sync my music library on the two devices, nor do I need my entire library (on hard drive) on either device (it won't fit anyway).

Why do I even need to "open a program" to copy files onto a device? Argh . . . !!!!!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Except every eleventeenth time my iphone or ipad doesn't show up under itunes, leading to a ridiculous set of steps to get it to work (recognized by apple, they give you the steps to fix it, but don't fix it themselves). Then god forbid you upgrade itunes because "sync mania" is in da house! Figure it out apple, my phone is 16 gigs and my ipad is 64 gigs. I cannot sync my music library on the two devices, nor do I need my entire library (on hard drive) on either device (it won't fit anyway).

Why do I even need to "open a program" to copy files onto a device? Argh . . . !!!!!
The pain...it is REAL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts