The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mississippi system is extra full.

There is a lawn there under about 40cm of water...then about a 1 metre high retaining wall before you get down to the beach.

This pic from a boat(a couple of years ago) shows what we would usually call a high water level.

·
Registered
24,159 Posts
I took a spin through the Britannia area in Ottawa this morning, on the way to the pharmacy, and spotted a station where they were filling sandbags. If I'd had warmer clothing on, and if there weren't more people than sand at that point, I would have stopped and helped out. Maybe tomorrow, I'll put on a jacket and check it out.

What was surprising, though, was just how far back from the river folks had sandbags around their basement windows. I guess when you see what's been happening in some of the other places in the region, you don't take chances.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Walleye season opens this weekend ...I'll just fish off the deck.
Nothing like making the best of your surroundings

Do you think the high levels will mess up the opener? I hope your place did not sustain any damage

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing like making the best of your surroundings

Do you think the high levels will mess up the opener? I hope your place did not sustain any damage
yeah I'll bet the fish will be all messed up and hard to find,
I might not even attempt it to be honest,it sounds silly,but the water is too high to launch the boat.
I mean it will launch easily,but there will be nowhere to moor it safely,the water is still too cold to mess around in too much.
We won't get much damage, the water pump in the boathouse might be cooked,and whatever was on the floor in there too.
But we've seen levels close to this several times before..so you learn to keep what you can high.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a spin through the Britannia area in Ottawa this morning, on the way to the pharmacy, and spotted a station where they were filling sandbags. If I'd had warmer clothing on, and if there weren't more people than sand at that point, I would have stopped and helped out. Maybe tomorrow, I'll put on a jacket and check it out.

What was surprising, though, was just how far back from the river folks had sandbags around their basement windows. I guess when you see what's been happening in some of the other places in the region, you don't take chances.
Might be the worst flooding Ottawa has experienced in recent history ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts