The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0332.PNG

SUPER STANDARD builds upon the tone legacy of our London Power Standard Preamp, providing classic warm clean tones, hot-rodded distortion tones, and adding the Zen and Swede gain of modern metal. Tubes create the entire sound while solid-state circuitry provides a low-noise effects loop, dual outputs, DI and buffered Link for connection to other preamps

uses two of 12AX7 or any of 12AT7, 12AU7, 12AY7, 12AX7, ECC-81/-82/-83, or equivalent
low-gain channel has 3 voicing switches
high-gain channel has 6 voicing switches
front-panel effects loop controls
low-noise effects loop and output circuitry
two impedance-matched ground-compensated TRS 1/4" outputs
impedance-matched ground-compensated XLR for D.I. output
front panel switches for channel and loop selection
remote control via TRS jacks or DIN6
regulated voltages
1U 3.4kg,17"W x 1.7"H x 6.5" D (plus tubes)
120V, 240V range switch
rack-mountable with optional kit

SUPER STANDARD covers the range of pristine clean, warm clean, mild over-drive, 70s crunch, hot-rodded 80s sustain, up to the Zen and Swede magic of modern metal. Classic clean sounds and mild to heavy saturation are produced with low noise and excellent note articulation and sustain. The player can set the voicing and gain structure using the voicing switches and Drive and Level controls for each channel, then easily switch between a Low-Gain sound and a High-Gain sound using the front panel switch or remote control.

Where a full EQ per channel is preferred by some players, most actually set the EQs the same, so in the confines of a 1U front panel a shared EQ makes sense. One of the Low-Gain Channel's three voice switches is a mid-shift for the High EQ control, producing a nice clean 'chime' sound. The High-Gain Channel provides any modern iconic tone you desire. Blackmore. van Halen. Yngwie (Swede). Vai (Zen). Iommi. Roth. If you can play it, the tone is here. Set each channel how you like and use Loud to make everything louder or quieter without altering the channel balance.

SUPER STANDARD has a full-feature effects loop that can handle line-level devices or pedals, as well as series or mixing modes. Front-panel Send and Return level controls combine with a rear-panel 20dB switch to accommodate any signal level, and any signal-handling capability of the external device. The loop is ground compensated and impedance matched to eliminate ground loops.

SUPER STANDARD has two instrument input jacks, with the front panel jack over-riding the rear-panel jack. There is a buffered Link output to fan out the guitar signal to other preamps, tuner, etc. The buffered signal can be used to drive the tube stages if one wishes, by activation of the BF switch on the rear panel. "Where's the beef?" It's on the rear panel.

Dual main outputs allow many system connections, for use with multiple amplifiers or for split recording and monitoring. Each output has its own level control. The LP low-pass filter for the main outputs can be enabled for direct connection to a mixer or PA, or left 'off' to drive multiple guitar amps for a zoned stage. There is also a D.I. (direct injection) output that tracks the raw output after the effects loop. The main outputs use TRS 1/4" jacks where the D.I. has an XLR. All outputs are impedance matched and ground compensated to eliminate ground loops between equipment.

All of SUPER STANDARD's sounds and features can be accessed by front-panel switches. Standard 1-button and 2-button push-on/off foot switches can also be used for remote switching, connected by way of the TRS 1/4" rear panel FSW jack. More sophisticated control is tied in via the DIN6 connector, matching London Power's FS4-2W foot control (sold separately). FS4-2W provides direct-random access to either channel with or without the effects, so four system voices A,B,Ax,Bx; and it has 2-way communication: you can hit a switch on FS4-2W OR on SUPER STANDARD's face plate and the LEDs on both will change along with the system status selected. Of course, one can use the DIN6 to link to other types of controller.

SUPER STANDARD incorporates all of London Power's standard design and construction features:

toroidal power transformers
fusing for all transformer windings
• Galactic Grounding
active hum filtering
long-life capacitors
low-noise metal-film resistors
metal-oxide and wire-wound power resistors
zero wiring
zero standby power when switched 'off'

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Kevin is a good dude...I had a couple of his amps a few years back....Studio 10, Studio 50 and the pre-amp. Sold the pre-amp to a guy in the states for 3x what I paid.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kevin is a good dude...I had a couple of his amps a few years back....Studio 10, Studio 50 and the pre-amp. Sold the pre-amp to a guy in the states for 3x what I paid.
Agree. Met Kevin in Thunder Bay a couple of times. I am on the prairies now, but plenty of family, friends and a camp on lake in the T.Bay area. So I visit often.

I was just playing a variety of songs thru my Stephenson (with Kevin's power scaling and tube-buffered effects loop) and thought: "it can't get better than this", but it's hard to resist something as versatile as this preamp. Maybe I'd better get his Dumble-inspired unit too... lol.

·
Premium Member
17,132 Posts
I spoke to Kevin on the phone when trying to decide which of his textbooks to purchase. What a wonderful and helpful fellow.

How does the Super Standard preamp cost?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Looks great !!! Congrats on the gear !

But I am lost...:eek:

Seems to do lots and lots... would be to complicated for me !!!:confused:

Does its have a microwave ? :rolleyes:

Im getting to old for all this new stuff....

If it does what your looking for , happy for you...

·
Premium Member
17,132 Posts
from Kevin's website...
SUPER STANDARD 2-Channel Vacuum Tube Guitar Preamplifier (1U)
$2,130 CND (approx. $1,580 USD)

For your toroidal viewing pleasure...

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great !!! Congrats on the gear !

But I am lost...:eek:

Seems to do lots and lots... would be to complicated for me !!!:confused:

Does its have a microwave ? :rolleyes:

Im getting to old for all this new stuff....

If it does what your looking for , happy for you...
Haha. Sorry man. Shoulda said that's its "finally ready for sale". I don't own one, its just new to the website for me. Its been expected for a long time. My apologies.

For the record, I am not much of a knob twiddler either. More of a set-and-forget kinda guy myself.

London Power sells a lot of kits and books to the DIYer. This swanky gear is for the studio, and is designed to get any sound that may be required for the job.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Nice looking unit. I appears to be very flexible.

For me, the most important thing would be if I can get both a great clean and great crunchy tone with kist one tone stack. But with those various voicing switches I'm sure I'd find something that worked.

I (sadly) always associate stand-alone preamps with hair metal - because of how the two appeared in the same era. But again the dirty channel on this appears to have a pretty huge range - without having to go to Valhalla (Zen and Swede).

View attachment 112209

toroidal power transformers
fusing for all transformer windings
• Galactic Grounding
active hum filtering
long-life capacitors
low-noise metal-film resistors
• zero wiring
I love those two highlighted features.

Don't know what the hell Galactic Grounding is, but I want it. Bad.

And in the day and age of most people wanting (erroneously named) PTP low-tech builds, it's great to see a company brag about high tech and the fact that the unit is pure PCB. That takes cajones. They have pride and belief in their equipment and technology used, of that I do not doubt. That's tres cool!

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And in the day and age of most people wanting (erroneously named) PTP low-tech builds, it's great to see a company brag about high tech and the fact that the unit is pure PCB. That takes cajones. They have pride and belief in their equipment and technology used, of that I do not doubt. That's tres cool!
So true.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMG_0333.PNG
Power Scaled
0-25W output
STUDIO uses any octal-based tube: 6V6, 6L6, 5881, 6550, EL-34, KT-66/77/88
KC25 uses EL-84 output tubes or E84L, EL-844, N709, 6BQ5, 6p15
uses any 12A_7 tubes: 12AT7, 12AU7, 12AY7, 12AX7, ECC-81-/82/-83
operate single-ended (SE) or push-pull (PP)
either tube in cathode or fixed bias
either tube in triode, ultralinear or pentode mode
direct-impedance jacks for 4,8,16 ohms
switched 'Match' speaker output
pedal-friendly
2U, 6.1kg, 17"W x 3.3"H x 6.5" D (plus tubes)
100V, 120V, 240V range switch
rack-mountable with optional kit
rubber foot storage on rear panel when rack mounted

Download
the PDF of the STUDIO & KC25 Operating Manual

STUDIO is the world's first production guitar amp with Power Scaling, allowing players to use output stage compression and distortion effects within the Human Scale of loudness. Since its introduction in 1995, STUDIO has always been in a class of its own - truly unique - with a range of tonal expression far beyond traditional tube amps, and capable of using all the common octal-based power tubes in singles, in pairs and in mixed pairs. KC25 is a variation of STUDIO that uses EL-84 output tubes. Both are identical in their capabilities apart from their output tube options, making KC25 the most versatile EL-84 amp ever produced. KC25 is in a class of its own as EL-84 amps go - with a range of tonal expression far beyond traditional "18W" and "AC" amps, and capable of using power tubes in singles, in pairs and in mixed pairs.

STUDIO & KC25 combine a sophisticated power section with an equally sophisticated front-end. The input stage has true variable gain, so any signal amplitude is easily accommodated with as pristine or as warm a result as the player desires. Equalisation is distributed throughout the circuit, offering a much wider range of tone than is found in traditional guitar power amps. The touch responsiveness of the amp is affected by these and other controls, such as Vibe, and by the choice of tubes used.

STUDIO & KC25 can be used as a stand-alone guitar amp with effects pedals in front. You will hear exactly what the pedals do and exactly what the instrument does with them. STUDIO & KC25's input stage has far more headroom than that of a standard guitar amp, so over-driving the first stage grid is not possible, and thus grid-blocking distortion is avoided. The very low noise, high-quality components and careful circuit design make STUDIO a "tone microscope".

Each power tube has its own bias switch for cathode-biasing or fixed-biasing and can be operated in triode, pentode or ultralinear mode. Both tubes can be set the same way or quite differently - one cathode biased and the other fixed-biased, for example. Cathode bias is set here to maximise tonal difference at the expense of output power. Each power tube also has its own Level control, allowing either to be dialled out leaving the single-ended tone of the other tube. Bias pots and meter jacks are on the rear panel, accessible from the outside of the amp.

STUDIO accepts any of the pin-compatible octal-based power tubes singly, in pairs or in mixed pairs. Use any of: 6V6, 6L6, 5881, 6550, EL-34, E34L, KT-66, KT-77, KT-88, or any equivalents.

KC25 uses any EL-84 or equivalent tube in singles, pairs, or mixed pairs. Use 6BQ5, EL-84, E84L, EL-844, N709, 6p15

Yes - you can use a single power tube in STUDIO or KC25!

Power Scaling allows tube compression and distortion effects at any loudness down to a whisper. The standard loudness range is "unusably loud down to unusably quiet" so the player or sound engineer can decide how quiet "quiet" is. The 25W maximum output is loud enough to damage hearing when used with typical high-efficiency guitar speakers, but Power Scaling lets you have "cranked" tone at safe sound pressure levels.

Specs & details:

STUDIO & KC25 incorporate all of London Power's standard design and construction features:

toroidal power and output transformers
fusing for all power transformer windings
worldwide mains compatability - with 100V for Japan
Galactic Grounding
active hum filtering
long-life capacitors low noise metal-film resistors
zero wiring except for the transformer fly-leads

STUDIO & KC25 can be rack mounted using the optional 2U6-BRKT, sold as pairs.

"Fantastic tones"

"STUDIO can out-tweed a tweed amp"

"It's amazing to be able to play really quietly but have this ripping overdrive for my recording."

"KC25 does everything you said it would. I'm so pleased!"

·
Premium Member
17,132 Posts
Don't know what the hell Galactic Grounding is, but I want it. Bad.
Galactic Ground uses a buss with small stars (as in star grounding approach) for local circuitry and local distributed filtering.

I think galactic grounding might be Kevin's "invention".

It is in this TUT text: TUT3 - The Ultimate Tone Vol. 3
"Our Galactic Ground provides the quietest operation and best note articulation in all amp circuits"

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am finally back in civilization with my new LP Preamp. I picked it up from Kevin in person in Thunder Bay and then it languished in my cabin for two or three weeks waiting for a shot of electricity.

First impressions. After two or three days of investigation.

1) this thing is QUIET! Even at the most ludicrous levels of distortion, there is ZERO hiss and hum.

2) this thing is QUIET! Even at a whisper the tone inspires you to keep playing. Palm muting and galloping metal nonsense? See you in a couple of hours...

3) some of the settings are esoteric in their function and require a lot of adjustments to bring out their character. Great for the studio, but could be a downer for those who need to click quickly from song to song on stage.

4) for us set-and-forget guys, I have already improved my two basic band sounds: fenderish clean (now more lively at lower volumes), and herzogish sustain (now available at a whisper and with sweeter treble). I use the guitar contols for variation in these two modes. Some dramatic changes are available with a single voice switch if desired.

5) this a preamp -- great for preparing your signal to be amplified. Your power amp and speaker will still play a major role in your overall sound. Especially regarding power tube distortion. The once useless OVERDRIVE section on my Garnet SessionMaster has been born again!

6) I have yet to find my "jazz" sound (P90 into YGM3 with Diamond compressor)

7) this device is definitely "outside-the-box" and serves its own agenda, with its own particular methods. Don't expect the same old thing with no learning curve.

Back to exploring now. Please, no technical electronic questions and please no "does-it-nail-the-blah-blah-blah sound." I don't know.

I will be online for the rest of this week. Thanks for looking!

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Os it something that can be used straight into a audio device for recording?
Yes. Direct recording, PA/hi-fi feed, re-amping and conventional amps are all recommended.

Bass boost and LPF are provided on both Output 1 and Output 2. Buffered DI also available.

I have only tried my guitar amps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts