The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Its funny..i just picked this up on vinyl about a month ago...didnt realize i grabbed a first press mono copy (first pressings had 'a little help from my friends' instead of 'with a little...') anyways..i noticed that theres an OPP badge on Pauls coat...this morning on the radio they were speculating that Sgt Pepper was actual Sgt Randel Pepper (i think it was Randel) who was the bands guard during the tour prior to this album and that paul did it as an ode to that guy...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I love it but it's not even in my top three favourite Beatles album. I'd rather listen to Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour or the White Album personally.

Reactions: Lola

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I was wondering if somebody was going to post about this. I've heard the new remix by George Martins son, Giles, and I find that there's more clarity and punch to the instruments. The new two CD set includes not only the new 2017 stereo remix but also the mono version. It's interesting to read that George Martin and the engineers took three weeks to mix the original 1967 mono mix yet only two days to mix the stereo version. Stereo was just starting to become more popular at that time and there was more of a focus on mono. As to whether it's their best is debatable but I agree with leftysgs choices and I'd also put Revolver in there.

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
So let me get this straight. It was 50 years ago today that it was 20 years ago today? OK, got it.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
My fav album is definitely the
White album! Rocky Racoon comes to mind .

·
Registered
4,979 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
lol...that's funny how times have changed. today, even the most "strait-laced cop" would find Sgt Pepper to be extremely tame/soft.

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
My high school friend Joel Richler's grandmother worked in a store that sold records. She would sometimes give him records they had received before the actual release date, and Sgt. Pepper was one of them. I think we listened to it the day or night before it got put on display in the stores. Joel's dad had a pretty nice stereo for the period (Sherwood amp, KLH speakers), and the rec room had nice acoustics, so we cranked it a bit. Pretty dang impressive album, and although rather gimmicky, looking back at it now, things like the stereo placement of rooster crowing on "Good morning, good morning", wowed us.

In retrospect, as much of a huge step forward as the production on Sgt. Pepper was (at the time, deemed one of the first instances where an album aimed for something that could not be replicated in concert), I had and have a fondness for Revolver. I don't know that there was ever a more psychedelic tune than Tomorrow Never Knows, and the sheer range of songs on the album was pretty pivotal in the history of pop music, setting a new benchmark in an era when most albums would have multiple attempts to mimic whatever the "hit single" was.

L

·
0 Posts
To a Beatles fan, sure.
Your unopened one?
Urban legend states that records warp over time if you leave the wrap on because of static.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
So I have two sgt. peppers albums. The one was played to death in about 2 months and the other has never been opened....the plastic wrap it came in is still in tack. are they worth anything?
the sealed one probably is...what year is it from?

if it's a 1st pressing, I'd say it's fairly valuable. check the version you have on discoggs

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
I finally got around to watching the PBS special on the 50th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper's release. Not nearly long enough, once all the PBS pledge nonsense is removed, but I found it to be thoughtful and illuminating. A lot of details I never knew or had never thought about. I can't believe all this time had passed without me knowing that Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane were the first tracks recorded in the production of the album.

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
To a Beatles fan, sure.
Your unopened one?
Urban legend states that records warp over time if you leave the wrap on because of static.
Static, heat, cold and a bunch of other things. About '69 or so a bunch of albums got put in a box and the box was put in a shed at my bro's place. 2008 my bro was cleaning out the shed and found a few boxes of my stuff there and had my son bring them to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts