The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, oh man! This pedal looks and sounds fantastic. Good job on the builder and Jack White. Well thought out with an interesting feature set.

·
Registered
24,746 Posts
There are many effects that can benefit by having a momentary "punch-in" switch/function. The poster child for that is probably the ring modulator, whose "rubber band" tone is useful for a phrase, but best used sparingly.

I've built momentary options into pedals, and a number of commercial builders have as well. Part of the challenge is how to implement the switching so that it feels as smooth and seamless as simply tilting your pick a little more this way or that for these 8 notes. For starters, having a "punch-in" function that only happens as long as the footswitch is pressed, and ends the moment you lift your foot, is more seamless and fluid than having to step on and step again to bypass. That, of course, is one of the virtues sought after in wahs - something that comes on when you think of it, and goes away the moment you don't want it anymore.

The "telegraph switch" approach will physically hold up reasonably well; probably better than a smaller target. The Game Changer Plus sustain pedal also uses a similar switch, albeit made to look like a piano sustain pedal. In this case, the footswitches are far enough apart to be able to hit them individually, but close enough to be able to hit more than one if you so desire. That option is, of course, real-estate-dependent. As clever as the pedal is, I don't know how many players would be able or willing to accommodate a pedal that big, at the risk of having to kick other things off their pedalboard. That's not a criticism, just a realistic consideration.

Of course, now I want to rehouse the PAiA Rocktave Divider I have in the basement, with big momentary switches for the one and 2 octaves down and fuzz.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Andy may have been hitting 2 in his intro ditty. I have been on a bit of an octave up kick lately so this really piqued my interest. Haven't seen the MSRP yet. Probably be a while until one shows up used

1 - 4 of 4 Posts