The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,627 Posts
Not much honour or pleasure in being the person who provided proof that if something sounds too good to be true it probably is.

·
Premium Member
26,627 Posts
Well that's the challenge. People dart out into traffic, frequently without looking. Or in my experience in Scotland last year, looking, but in the wrong direction.

The challenge with all robotics of any kind is always dealing with the infrequent, unusual, and unpredicted. Myself, I see one of the hurdles to be cleared, with respect to the introduction of self-driving vehicles, is the identification of, or establishment of, thoroughfares that preclude jaywalking, or any similar types of sudden intrusions into the otherwise predictable.

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
I knew this guy in high school who got hit by a car three times....in six months.

I was leaving the school one day and heard him laughing at me from a little ways off for looking before I crossed the street. I just laughed to myself.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The problem is that we are advertised robotics to be 100% correct.
And we want that to be true. Yeah ?! What about bugs ?!
An associate used to say : Humans make mistakes, computers may lead to catastrophy.
The real question : can we afford technology costs to save a few lives ?
The same question medicine is facing : How many treated to save one ? (And how does it cost ?)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
There was a human behind the wheel...so was this really an "autonomous car" accident or a human not reacting quickly enough to a human crossing the street illegally?

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts
I'm still not sure this accident was preventable or somehow the "fault" of the car.
At some point I can see stupid teens turning it into a game to "test" self driving cars ability to stop for them.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm still not sure this accident was preventable or somehow the "fault" of the car.
At some point I can see stupid teens turning it into a game to "test" self driving cars ability to stop for them.
There are probably dozens of profitable YouTube channels featuring that kind of content already...which is sad, of course.

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
There’s no guarantee that a human-controlled car wouldn’t have hit this person in these circumstances. If driverless is “as safe or safer” than human controlled, that is progress. Robots don’t get tired, drunk, angry or distracted.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
There’s no guarantee that a human-controlled car wouldn’t have hit this person in these circumstances. If driverless is “as safe or safer” than human controlled, that is progress. Robots don’t get tired, drunk, angry or distracted.
I can think of one....

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Not to diminish what happened to the poor women, but you take your chances when you run out in front of traffic. The accident likely wouldn't have even made the news had there been a person behind the wheel.

Reactions: jb welder
1 - 15 of 15 Posts