The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facebook shared its files with a company offering services...
and f members became targets !

Youths are apparently already less interested in f...

Would you close your f account ?

(I did long ago...)

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
Have been seriously considering closing my Facebook account for a long time, though I'd keep my business page open for now at least.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I haven't closed it but I look at it maybe once a month in case something happens in my large family that I am not aware of. (I have over 100 nieces and nephews).

L

·
0 Posts
Like Steadly, I keep up with what family are doing and chat with bandmates.
I rarely post anything and never click on 'suggested' stories.

·
Premium Member
10,043 Posts
I think youths became less interested in FB years ago when their parents started using it as much as they were, could observe them etc.
I use it, and will continue to, sparingly. I post every couple weeks at most, when I have something to share.not every time I go to Mcdonalds or something. In fact when we went on vacation, I didn't make a single FB post about it.
My wife isn't on it at all.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
And I now feel vindicated (for the second time; the first was the Snowden leak) for refusing to use FB in the first place. Caught a lot of shit for that from people who insisted I should be there. All the people I do know who are on it complain about it all the time, but seem to feel you have to be on it anyway.

It wasn't a bad idea, but there are too many bells and whistles now and the moneymaking got in the way/out of hand QED above.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I use it often to promote the band and keep in touch with family and friends. I don't participate in the stupid posts that ask you to fill out information to tell what movie star you'd be or what kind of food you'd like or some other such nonsense. They're all bullshit games designed to to seem fun and harmless but really only exist to harvest more personal info and build profiles.
I also gave up on responding or sharing anything political whether I agree with it or not. I no longer trust anything touted as "news" on any social media platform. I ain't playing ball on that anymore.

All that said, anyone using the internet for any reason is providing metadata to the big companies whether you're willing or not. The only true way out is to stop using the internet. Good luck with that. Got a points card for your favorite retail establishment? Use your debit card? Log into your favorite forum? Welcome to the information age. Unless you live in a cave there's no escape.

Reactions: bolero

·
Premium Member
10,043 Posts
I use it often to promote the band and keep in touch with family and friends. I don't participate in the stupid posts that ask you to fill out information to tell what movie star you'd be or what kind of food you'd like or some other such nonsense. They're all bullshit games designed to to seem fun and harmless but really only exist to harvest more personal info and build profiles.
I also gave up on responding or sharing anything political whether I agree with it or not. I no longer trust anything touted as "news" on any social media platform. I ain't playing ball on that anymore.

All that said, anyone using the internet for any reason is providing metadata to the big companies whether you're willing or not. The only true way out is to stop using the internet. Good luck with that. Got a points card for your favorite retail establishment? Use your debit card? Log into your favorite forum? Welcome to the information age. Unless you live in a cave there's no escape.
Ive actually muted or unfriended frriends who were too emotionally charged politically in my FB stream. that's not why I go there...and sometimes hearing your friends inner most beliefs on issues is like seeing your parents naked....its ....unappealing.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I've never signed up and my wife cancelled her account a few years ago after one too many baby announcements.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Present and future employees are now checking Facebook to get more insight into you as a person, as well as people you may do business with. So be careful what you post. Once posted, it is usually there forever. Here are some Do's and Don'ts when it comes to Facebook.

The Do's And Don'ts Of Facebooking | HuffPost

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts

It's not that black and white; there are degrees and FB is high on the usury spectrum as regards data collection. Also, technically it is feasible to be online with no useful data collection - using this forum as an example - the profiles are (can be; just sign up using a dumby email account) anonymous. If you always connect through a proxy server and clear cookies etc after every session, there is no way to tie this account to you directly; whatever profile they build is useless because they can't link it to any known identity (digital or otherwise) to , e.g., send/show you targeted advertising (which is 90% of what all this data collection is about; it's that other 10% that is the real concern... though sometimes the line is blurred as the same data used for ads can be leveraged for other purposes - e.g. creating phishing scam mailing lists).

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
I would like to ditch facebook, but it's the preferred method of email for a lot of family/friends I want to be in touch with.

I really refrain from posting personal info though. I just post and share jokes and stupid information.

·
Registered
12,315 Posts
i closed my facebook years ago when you could still delete your page. 90% of all the friend requests i got were from assholes i always hated in high school. what the hell would i want with them now?
my sister is constantly telling me i need to be on it. i always tell her no, and like her entire life, she never listens

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Present and future employees are now checking Facebook to get more insight into you as a person, as well as people you may do business with. So be careful what you post. Once posted, it is usually there forever. Here are some Do's and Don'ts when it comes to Facebook.

The Do's And Don'ts Of Facebooking | HuffPost
It’s very easy to lock down your profile so no one can read it except your chosen audience. However, if you comment on public posts, that can show up in searches.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
It’s very easy to lock down your profile so no one can read it except your chosen audience. However, if you comment on public posts, that can show up in searches.
I was thinking if you post something and someone else replies, it is now out of your control.

P

·
0 Posts
That's why every once and a while a negative story on Justin Trudeau will show up for no reason. Subversive Conservatives.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I don't have fb. I don't watch South Park often. However I had to laugh when I caught the Mark Zuckerberg episode of SP.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts