The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you will know from my recent Midtown Custom thread, I have bad ES-335 or Midtown Custom GAS at the moment but can't find the right one at the right price. In order to scratch the itch for the time being I decided to pick up another Epiphone Sheraton. I found one available locally for $450 with a case so I snagged it today.

I've always loved plain tops and this one shows some nice grain (it doesn't show up as well in the pictures as it does in person). I haven't put my own strings on it yet but, even with the other guy's strings, it plays comfortably and is quite resonant when playing unplugged (I haven't plugged it into my Vintage Modern yet, but will do so later tonight). I noticed after I got it home that the nut might need to be replaced as it angles downward quite sharply on the plain string side, but that is a $50 fix and, so long as it takes my preferred string gauge and plays well, isn't anything that needs to be done right away.

As is almost always the case, the stylized 'E' on the pick guard is starting to lift so I will take that off later (why do they even bother putting them on when they almost always come off?). I just hope the outline doesn't remain after it is removed because it always looks crappy when those have been taken off but you can still see the outline.

My camera still isn't recognizing batteries as having a charge but, because of the pics or it didn't happen rule, I snapped a couple of quick ones:

·
Premium Member
17,177 Posts
Congrats!!

I like the natural blondes also.

I played a new Gibson ES 335 today ..it sounded great and felt wonderful.
Does that help your GAS at all ?

ENJOY!!

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I've owned some "high end" ES 335 alternatives (Eastman t186 and Yamaha SA2000) but I've also owned 3 sheratons and I regret selling each one...I will likely have one again. I love their necks. Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Nice rig.

I'd just take the pickgaurd off; they don't usually do much anyway but then I just spent a shit ton on a 5 watt amp so what do I know - except that the amp sounds like the real deal and it was worth the price...lol

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
If you decide that it should not have followed you home, you can always direct it my way. ;)

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gave it a cleaning, oiled the fretboard, and put new strings on it tonight. The nut definitely has to be replaced but, even with the weirdly slanted nut on it, there is barely any fret buzz. The guitar is very resonant and feels good while playing. I didn't plug the Sherry in because I decided that, since I had the clippers, string winder, lemon oil, etc. out I might as well restring my Tele too. But when I settle down tomorrow night I'll plug in my Marshall to see how the Sherry sounds through it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts