The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Your ears tell you that Brian is playing an electric. Doesn't it show us that in the hand of a master player, it ain't the guitar?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Awesome. So that's what the upper frets on an acoustic are for! I think Freddie told the story better though ;) .

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
I saw Phil Keaggy playing in a small church in Duluth, Minnesota. We were maybe eight or ten feet away from him.

He asked for requests and my buddy says: "Play Happy."

I almost cringed in embarrassment. Happy was an all-out electric guitar instrumental, and Phil was up there with an acoustic guitar.

"I can't... ," Phil started to say, then looked at the guitar and finished: " ...maybe I can."

He played the whole thing on the acoustic. Towards the end he was so focused on bending the notes and nailing all the fancy runs that he slowly rose up out his chair, and gradually wandered away with his back to the crowd.

"Not the guitar."

One of the best "concerts" I have ever seen. For $10. Meanwhile, same night, the Rolling Stones were playing in Minneapolis. $300 for seats so far away that all you could see were Mick Jagger's lips .

P

·
0 Posts
He uses 8-38 on his electric guitar, I bet he has those on the acoustic too.

·
Registered
14,948 Posts
I saw Phil Keaggy playing in a small church in Duluth, Minnesota. We were maybe eight or ten feet away from him.

I almost cringed in embarrassment. Happy was an all-out electric guitar instrumental, and Phil was up there with an acoustic guitar.

"I can't... ," Phil started to say, then looked at the guitar and finished: " ...maybe I can."

He played the whole thing on the acoustic. Towards the end he was so focused on bending the notes and nailing all the fancy runs that he slowly rose up out his chair, and gradually wandered away with his back to the crowd.

"Not the guitar."

One of the best "concerts" I have ever seen. For $10. Meanwhile, same night, the Rolling Stones were playing in Minneapolis. $300 for seats so far away that all you could see were Mick Jagger's lips .
I saw Phil do a solo show--him, an acoustic guitar a few effects & a looper--incredible show.
Then he played a borrowed electric & jammed with one of the other bands.

So in one sense the guitar does affect what & how we play--but a talented guitar player can make it work on different ones-so in that sense it isn't the guitar.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
He uses 8-38 on his electric guitar, I bet he has those on the acoustic too.
I think you are correct. That same show, Phil asked the audience if anyone knew where he could get light gauge acoustic strings because he was having trouble finding them. Now having said that, how does he make his acoustic sound so good with light gauge strings? It may be an acoustic but it's plugged into an 8U rack. Still, one of my fave guitarists with a voice to match and great song-writing skills. Super nice guy to meet in person.

·
Premium Member
12,296 Posts
Well, if you think this sounds like that solo on his Red Special, I guess you don't hear so good.

So yea, it is partially the guitar, much to the OP's chagrin (no doubt, world class chops help, too). Opie wants us to believe any $100 guitar, bought for $50 US and shipped to the border, played through a $200 multi-fx pedal will get you anywhere any guitarist wants to go. Some of us know better, but that's because we spend more time on the fretboard than the keyboard. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Well, if you think this sounds like that solo on his Red Special, I guess you don't hear so good.

So yea, it is partially the guitar, much to the OP's chagrin (no doubt, world class chops help, too). Opie wants us to believe any $100 guitar, bought for $50 US and shipped to the border, played through a $200 multi-fx pedal will get you anywhere any guitarist wants to go. Some of us know better, but that's because we spend more time on the fretboard than the keyboard. YMMV.
I guess you can believe what you like but why not just enjoy the thread for what it is - a video of a great guitarist - rather than some agenda the op has.

·
Premium Member
12,296 Posts
I'm a multi-disciplinarian. I can do both at the same time.

Good ol' Opie's agenda is so transparent as to be like shooting fish in a barrel by now. But them fishes still gots to be shot. I don't mind wasting a round or two. You can comment as you see fit. Or not. Same as me.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess you can believe what you like but why not just enjoy the thread for what it is - a video of a great guitarist - rather than some agenda the op has.
Me thinks you're reading a bit too much into this Mr. Lance.

·
Registered
14,948 Posts
Super nice guy to meet in person.
I saw him at a Festival--and he as there early--watching the other bands.
In between acts he wandered around & talke with people.
He walked up to me and said, "Hi. I'm Phil"
Which was real cool to have one of your favorite guitar players do that...

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts

"Not the guitar."

I had to look up phil keaggy, and then search for a vid, and then search for a vid that cuts straight to the music and gets past all the praise the lord bible thumper crap. To each their own, i just wanna see the playing not the preaching.
Great player.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
I had to look up phil keaggy, and then search for a vid, and then search for a vid that cuts straight to the music and gets past all the praise the lord bible thumper crap. To each their own, i just wanna see the playing not the preaching.
Great player.
hmmm. I' ve seen Keaggy three times and never heard him preach once, just playing and singing. Yeah, I don't like any confusion between entertainment and worship either. Go to a concert and they try to turn it into church. Go to church and they try to turn it into a concert. Confusion, plain and simple.

Sidenote: the guy's fabulous guitar playing makes people overlook his vocals. A voice that never quits.

EDIT! Haha. I didn't realize you posted a version of Happy. Looks like He really took to the acoustic version!!

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,195 Posts
The law of diminishing returns applies to just about everything..... I'd rather play my over priced PRS and drive my explorer than play a squire and drive a smart car though :)

Reactions: Diablo

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keaggy is good but no match for Brian May.

·
Registered
14,948 Posts
Keaggy is good but no match for Brian May.
I wasn't aware it was a competition.
Phil (He told me to call him Phil) was not offered as a competitor to Brian May, but as an example of what we were discussing.
We're allowed to prefer one or the other or both or neither.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wasn't aware it was a competition.
Phil (He told me to call him Phil) was not offered as a competitor to Brian May, but as an example of what we were discussing.
We're allowed to prefer one or the other or both or neither.
That's good. We're on the same page. I was expressing my opinion as we all do here.

That is still allowed, isn't it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts