The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The search is over. Turns out it wasn’t the fuzz pedals, octaver, wah, guitar or amps. It was all in the...........

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
Actually, part of it was in the cable; though one should be careful to say it was a small part. Curly cables act as lowpass filters. One thing you can say about Jimi's tone was that, despite playing single-coils through bright Marshall's, his tone was never harsh or brittle sounding. I'm sure how he set his tone controls played some part, but what the amp or pedals do is ultimately a function of the signal they receive, and in Jimi's case the curly cable tamed some of the highs. Of course, since that time, we've come up with many other ways to accomplish the same thing. People can use wireless systems and still get the same tone.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Actually, part of it was in the cable; though one should be careful to say it was a small part. Curly cables act as lowpass filters. One thing you can say about Jimi's tone was that, despite playing single-coils through bright Marshall's, his tone was never harsh or brittle sounding. I'm sure how he set his tone controls played some part, but what the amp or pedals do is ultimately a function of the signal they receive, and in Jimi's case the curly cable tamed some of the highs. Of course, since that time, we've come up with many other ways to accomplish the same thing. People can use wireless systems and still get the same tone.
The same can be said for Albert Collins 100' cord taming some of the high end on his Tele/Quad Reverb combo

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
True. Although Hendrix never strayed that far from his amp, and in Collins' case he was known for using his 100ft tether to wander out into the audience, and occasionally outside the front door of the establishment!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
True. Although Hendrix never strayed that far from his amp, and in Collins' case he was known for using his 100ft tether to wander out into the audience, and occasionally outside the front door of the establishment!
Our sax player goes wireless so he can go table to table around the pub.

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
BTW, I was going to urge my son to go see your band this evening, but he's currently on a train somewhere in the Gaspe, headed home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts