The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...do any of you have your gear insured?

i've started looking into it, once i realised i was making too many assumptions regarding my home coverage as it applies to my guitars and amps.

Clydesdale Insurance Brokerage / Unity Insurance Brokers(Windsor)Ltd will only insure you if you are a member of the AFM.

Hayhurst Elias Dudek Inc will only insure members of symphony orchestras.

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
david henman said:
...do any of you have your gear insured?

i've started looking into it, once i realised i was making too many assumptions regarding my home coverage as it applies to my guitars and amps.

Clydesdale Insurance Brokerage / Unity Insurance Brokers(Windsor)Ltd will only insure you if you are a member of the AFM.

Hayhurst Elias Dudek Inc will only insure members of symphony orchestras.

-dh

LOL, so the AFM still has one or two teeth eh?

My stuff is mostly too heavy to steal and the stuff that isn't never leaves my side unless it's in the house, in which case it IS covered.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I've always made the rash assumption it is covered under the homeowner policy. I'd better check into it.
Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Heritage

I've been looking into this, since it seems silly to not have a bunch of gear insured.

Heritage musical instruments will insure professionals, amatuers or shops. They cover your instrument when you're gigging, which i don't believe a homeowners policy would. They also will pay if you get it stolen from a locked car, if you can prove forced entry.
Policies are around 420$ a year in american funds, and you get covered up to 10,000$ worth of stuff, so really, it is a wise idea.

http://www.musicins.com/

based in the states, but they can cover in Canada.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dwagar said:
I've always made the rash assumption it is covered under the homeowner policy. I'd better check into it.
Thanks for the reminder.

...same mistake i made. you need to clarify the details, as well. is your vintage les paul covered for its true value, or simply the cost of a new les paul.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JaySimon said:
I've been looking into this, since it seems silly to not have a bunch of gear insured.
Heritage musical instruments will insure professionals, amatuers or shops. They cover your instrument when you're gigging, which i don't believe a homeowners policy would. They also will pay if you get it stolen from a locked car, if you can prove forced entry.
Policies are around 420$ a year in american funds, and you get covered up to 10,000$ worth of stuff, so really, it is a wise idea.
http://www.musicins.com/
based in the states, but they can cover in Canada.
Cheers
...thanks, jay. i'm on it!

-dh

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I just got coverage on my gear. It costs me about $700/year for $50,000 worth of coverage.

I just went to my Insurance company and got a special rider above and beyond my Renters Insurance. I did the same with my corporate computers.

I had to produce receipts and everything is covered for full replacement. For truelly valuable vintage stuff you will need to get it appraised.

Don't expect your home owners insurance to cover anything more than a couple thousand dollars worth of gear.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeff Flowerday said:
I just got coverage on my gear. It costs me about $700/year for $50,000 worth of coverage.
I just went to my Insurance company and got a special rider above and beyond my Renters Insurance. I did the same with my corporate computers.
I had to produce receipts and everything is covered for full replacement. For truelly valuable vintage stuff you will need to get it appraised.
Don't expect your home owners insurance to cover anything more than a couple thousand dollars worth of gear..02
...thanks for the input, jeff. that's actually a pretty good deal - can you reveal the name of the insurance company?

-dh

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Currently the value of my equipment is less than the average deductible, so............

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine is all insured through a separate rider on top of the house insurance, I think (my mother would know). It only costs me $20 a month that just gets added onto my rent. I think it's around $16,000 now.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
From what I was told for my home owners policy, you just disclose to the insurance company what you have and what replacement the values are..:rockon:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read that if you've ever gigged you gear for any kind of money, homeowner's insurance no longer covers it as it falls into a different category. I've heard that when following up a claim, insurance companies will sometimes contact various venues in your area to see if you've ever played a show and gotten paid for it, even if it was only for $20.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts