The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,160 Posts
Have you ever tried bringing a tub amp to a gig in your Toyota Corolla? Can't fit 'em in the back seat. Can't fit 'em in the trunk. You can only strap them to the roof.

On the other hand, you can fit some big speakers into a tub, and the rounded perimeter tends to eliminate standing waves. On mine, I just hated having to regularly get in there with the CLR to get rid of the mold.

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
Have you ever tried bringing a tub amp to a gig in your Toyota Corolla? Can't fit 'em in the back seat. Can't fit 'em in the trunk. You can only strap them to the roof.

On the other hand, you can fit some big speakers into a tub, and the rounded perimeter tends to eliminate standing waves. On mine, I just hated having to regularly get in there with the CLR to get rid of the mold.
LOL

I had a tub amp once, hated the fact that it was always wet, apparently I couldn't bypass the 'verb.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Would not speakers in a hot tub qualify. I'm going to get slaughtered for that typo.

·
Registered
24,160 Posts
Would not speakers in a hot tub qualify. I'm going to get slaughtered for that typo.
But you will be lauded for the good humour with which you take all the ensuing ribbing.

But seriously, whatever developments in solid-state technology might occur, I think it bears noting that tube amp aficionados will regularly differentiate between tube types, and even between different makers of the same tube type. Moreover, we regularly dicker around with replacing or re-sequencing tubes in an amp that cascades multiple gain stages, simply because of the fact that they are socketed. Which automatically begs the question: just what sort of tube amp or amp configuration is being emulated or ostensibly "replaced"?

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
A fellow guitar-player friend came for a visit this past weekend and brought his new Kemper. For power he had a Tech 21 with a Celestion Blue in it. He also brought his Duesenburg (which I just love). I really tried hard to like the new setup and he's certainly swallowed the koolaid - but, honestly it's not my cuppa. I tried for some time to approximate my strat-into-TS-9-into DRRI but never even found the ballpark. The thing looks like it came out of the Apollo Project too.

Give me tubes.

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
Samuel Clemons said it best (if in fact he said anything like it):

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

I've been hearing about the end of tube amps since before many here started playing guitar. And probably before some here were born. And we'll be hearing it for a couple more decades, me thinks.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,795 Posts
Here's a demo of their prototype of the technology.

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
The end of the tube amp will come whenever the tube supply runs out. Until then those that love them will continue to enjoy their expensive, heavy, inefficient space heaters.
that was supposed to happen in the 80s & in the 90s, etc.

We still have them...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts