The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
You usually see those sideways vibrolas on early SG's.
With the extended arm, it may have been a custom order?

·
Registered
981 Posts
It is a Gibson tailpiece, probably special order. Interestingly enough it was the type preferred by Hank Garland, the "land" in Byrdland. He had them on other guitars but I've never seen a Byrdland with one before.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Apparently 1962 was the first year these tailpieces were used.
1961-1963 on SG Custom and Standard stock. The end of 1962 saw the introduction of the lyre engraved Maestro that we are all familiar with. A few '62s and most '63s have the Maestro, but '63s with the side to side are not uncommon. Looks great on the Byrdland!!! I don't doubt that it is stock. To verify that take it off and see if there are any other holes.

·
Registered
24,368 Posts
That's the kind of question that goes to George Gruhn and his Vintage Guitar column. You need to ask if the vibrola would have been original, aftermarket, or special order.

·
Registered
460 Posts
As I mentioned in your other thread with pics of your Byrd --- I sent a pic of it to Ted and he hasn't ever seen a Byrd with one though did recognize the style of tremolo.

If it's stock, that's pretty unique! If there's anyone who would have ever seen a Byrd with a trem like that, it would be Nugent.

If there ever was the regular Byrd tailpiece on it, you may see where it's rubbed on the top from being pushed down. Though that guitar looks to be in fine shape so there may not be anything seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts