The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across this guy the other day and I can't tell if he is for real and if people actually enjoy listening to this? I'm all for express yourself and do things you enjoy but if he can have a career I think anyone on this forum has a chance at it!

·
Premium Member
26,320 Posts
Actually, Kaiser has a lot of respect among progressive players. He's recorded with a number of "name" players, Nels Cline, David Lindley, and Richard Thompson, to name a few. He's been written up in Guitar Player a number of times over the years.

That said, he's one of those players that if you don't live in NYC or somewhere similar, and attend "art" shows held in a loft or some underground facility, is probably of little interest. If one does not consider Sonic Youth as the epitome of rock, you're not gonna go out of your way to listen to Kaiser.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
I've seen the second vid before, it speaks for itself. Great stuff. The first vid is new to me and I'm left wondering where I can go to get the bass players outfit. The glasses alone make him cooler than a stoned Cash eating cake under a fake fern.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
He's playing a gig in jogging pants, didn't even need the volume to decide it sucked!

·
Occasional CEO
My Superstrat
1,973 Posts
I like some things. I generally find reasons to appreciate other things, even when I don't like them. It is rare that I come across something that I completely dislike and can't find any reason to appreciate.

How do I get these last few minutes of my life back?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another observation is, at no point should a bass guitar have a whammy bar haha. The first video sounds like they are doing a rendition of twinkle twinkle little star... but each doing a different version.

·
Registered
279 Posts
"Sounds like some crazy little demon came along and grabbed the wang bar and did something insane with it."

... LoL. Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. :D

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
Kaiser is a fixture in San Fran and is part of the free improvisation movement which basically advocates that there are no rules to music except what the artist can imagine.

To sum it up, he fucking sucks.

·
Registered
775 Posts
This reminds me of a story Jake E. Lee told in one of the guitar mags in the 80s...he was in a fusion band, and he suspected the guys in it were avant garde for the sake of being avant garde, so one day he played something that had nothing to do with anything the rest of the band was doing. They loved it, so he quit.

Now if they played it exactly that way at numerous shows, it might be art in some way, but this seemed to me to be being avant garde for the sake of being avant garde.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts