Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I am super guilty

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It struck me last week how many music related posts there are in the Open Mic Section that is supposed to be for Non Music Related posts. I am sure I am guilty of posting music related posts or videos here several times at least. Are there any of us here that are innocent?

·
Premium Member
27,229 Posts
My understanding is that "musical" topics were not strictly prohibitted here. Rather, if one had anything non-musical to post, this is a suitable place for it. Should one post something musical here, the likelihood of it being seen and responded to by those you feel it is best-suited for, drops a bit. So, if I was eager to discuss something about acoustic guitar-building, I wouldn't get nearly as many replies as if I posted it in the guitar-building or acoustic guitar sub-forums.

Having been part of several forums for nigh on 20 years, I will say that the pendulum swings around. One will often see suggestions for "Why don't we have a such and such subforum?". Sometimes, these add value, but many times not, simply because subforum content bleeds into other subforums. Not only that, many people are lousy at providing thread headers that clearly identify the content and intended audience, so stuff gets buried. I'm as guilty of that as anyone. At the other end of the spectrum, and particularly because so many of us give vague headers, rolling up everything into one common forum with no subfora is a recipe for chaos.

In sum, one needs some means of organizing forum content, but it needs to have some flexibility, and the members have to do their best to make content findable.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
15,914 Posts
hey sometimes it is music related--but it still belongs here...

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
I'm glad you've brought up this very important topic as Ive been burdened with this guilt for years.
Lol'd at the skewing of the poll choices.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts