The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi~~~~~
The no charge exchange period for my 65 deluxe reverb only has 1 week left.
I'm still not sure is there any better choice for me~
I got a Ibanez RG3120 (with Humbucker pickups), OCD, FullDrive 2, and a GT8.
I bought Deluxe Reverb for its beautiful clean, it's natural overdrive is also great, but I rarely have chance to turn up the volumn in my apartment.
and the OCD & FullDrive2 work great with the amp.

Before I got the deluxe reverb, i mainly play through GT8 to my computer monitor. I was happy. but after playing my guitar straight through the guitar amp, i don't miss gt8 any more.

Now, i'm still looking for some decent high gain sound. I have two choices,

1) trade in the GT8 for some decent distortion pedal, something like Tonebone's PlexiTube.
2) take back the deluxe reverb and trade in the GT8 for another amp with gain channel such as Express 2:25 from mesa/boogie.
3) I'm waiting for your suggestion...:tongue:

The music I played is kind of mixed, I'm in a cover band usually cover Eagles, Guns&roses, Metallic..... It's very mixed.:tongue: , and i use the amp mainly for home practice and band rehearsal.

please forgive my spelling and grammar and length of the post, really appreciate for your time and suggestion :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
OCD has enough gain to cover GnR even some Metallica. Are you looking for more gain?

I'd think you should be able to gain the OCD right up and use the FullDrive for lower gain and you'll be able to cover allot of ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff Flowerday said:
OCD has enough gain to cover GnR even some Metallica. Are you looking for more gain?

I'd think you should be able to gain the OCD right up and use the FullDrive for lower gain and you'll be able to cover allot of ground.
Thanks dude, I'm still looking for more gain than OCD. I tried ToneBone's Plexitube at GC, i like the sound. but it's too expensive. with that money i can buy a amp with decent gain channel. so i'm not sure should I buy another pedal or exchange the amp.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
HarryL said:
Thanks dude, I'm still looking for more gain than OCD. I tried ToneBone's Plexitube at GC, i like the sound. but it's too expensive. with that money i can buy a amp with decent gain channel. so i'm not sure should I buy another pedal or exchange the amp.

...just close, your eyes, hold your nose and open your wallet. once you have the plexitube in your possession, how much it cost won't matter.

there is another option - i might consider selling my hot british in favour of buying the plexitube for myself.

-dh

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
HarryL said:
Have you tried Ebay?? You can get a Hot British for cheap, cheap. Haven't looked into the Plexitube but I'm sure it's waaaayyy cheaper than local retail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hamm Guitars said:
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the GT8. But didn't you say that you were happy with it? Why not use it with the deluxe?

Just wondering.
GT8 is not a true bypass effect pedal. When I bypass it, want to hear the direct sound from my guitar to amp. i found the sound is some little difference from the sound without GT8 in middle. And I felt the distortion from GT8 is little hizz or fake (I don't know how to describe it, I just feel it not as good as the distortion from single pedals or real amp)

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
Judging by what music you like to play, I'd think the Mesa would have been a better choice in the first place. You can't beat a Mesa got high gain tones.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
torndownunit said:
Judging by what music you like to play, I'd think the Mesa would have been a better choice in the first place. You can't beat a Mesa got high gain tones.
I agree with torndownunit here - I dont think the Deluxe Reverb is the best amp for the music choices you listed above. I had one, and they are great amps, but I think you will struggle to get the high gain tones you are looking for with that amp.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
Hey Harry,

Like I mentioned to you the other day, I've got a Mesa DC-5 combo and I quite like it but I would caution you to really spend some time with a Boogie before you buy it - they certainly have their own tone and can take a lot of effort to dial in. On the upside - gain and bottom end are certainly not issues.

As a cheaper alternative, I have two Traynor YCV40's - one stock and one with some upgrades and I really like the gain channel on them.

If you want serious distortion in a pedal I would recommend that you try a Rat (my all-time favourite) or a BB Preamp - nice because it's got some great EQ options and goes from a good clean boost to a raging compressed little demon.

_______
Chris

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
traynor YCV50Blue - enough gain for most types of music, great cleans, solid beasts.

fenders are great, but YCV's have great cleans as well as good useable overdrive channels

1 - 11 of 11 Posts