The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Not sure why nobody has answered this thread but yeah! The 70's amp has a SS rectifier I beleive and with a few tweaks it can be made close to a classic plexi. So yeah, decent it is!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nope there no good, send it to me (wink wink nudge nudge)! Teasing aside, they are great amps, I have two of them! Lots of headroom... 90w RMS and 120w peak. Very loud suckers, tone wise smack dab in the middle of a Marshall Plexi and a Hiwatt. The YBA-1's are the real close plexi clones, the MKII's with there bigger transformers and seriously high plate voltage are kinda of a different beast. Powerful clean tones are their fortay.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Seems to me to be just about right on the money for one in good shape - in other words, ridiculously cheap for what it is! I would, in a heartbeat, if I was on that side of the country.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
they also make great bass amps...

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I dont know much about Traynor amps, they dont seem to have a master volume so can you get some tube breakup at reasonable volume or do you have to crank it all the way ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I dont know much about Traynor amps, they dont seem to have a master volume so can you get some tube breakup at reasonable volume or do you have to crank it all the way ?
There are a few choices:

-have a technician install a master volume modification, although those often overdrive the pre-amp tubes rather than the output tubes

-purchase an attenuator, like the one built by Ho in Vancouver.

-earplugs!

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Traynors like the YBA series are particularly ignorantly loud, with lots of clean headroom before you get to the goodies.

My 2 teenaged sons, if they saw me setting up the YBA-1 I had, would literally bail out of the basement as fast as they could - and we are talking about the drummer and lead guitar player of a hard rock band who practises at gig volume. Reaaalllllly loud that Traynor was. Had a tech do a minor reversible mod to it to break up a touch sooner, but it was still really loud. Oh, and when you turn on the amp then turn up the volume, there is no such thing as low/apartment friendly volume. It goes (or at least mine did) from 0 to jet plane. And then got louder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts