The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Prices on here are fairly high. This used to be my main stop for gear but I've bought more off Kijiji and Reverb recently; with the dollar going up there are better prices south of the border, even with taxes.

Btw, I'd be looking to get what I can for my gear as well, so this is not a criticism of anyone. Lots of sellers posting gear to take advantage of the demand, but that doesn't usually last.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'd be looking to get what I can for my gear as well, so this is not a criticism of anyone.
For sure. You can tell what's priced below market (lasts a few hours), at market (1 to 2 bumps) and higher than market (infinite bumps) on GC. Not always indicative, the higher end stuff has such a small audience it usually sits. The best deals I've scored recently have been on Kijiji and to a lesser extent FB marketplace.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I buy and sell a lot of pedals. JHS anything would sell within 48 from last March until this March. Now they're going to sit for a little while if you don't want to give them away.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Asking prices still seem up there but a lot of stuff is definitely sitting on the market longer than it was a year ago.
This is what I see in most cases. Prices on certain guitars are starting to drop or they are sitting unsold for months, while the delusional sellers sit and wonder why, which is exactly what I thought would happen. I have no sympathy for greedy bastards. As people's lives start to resume their normal routine, it's now vacation season, and there's a lot of pent-up desire for travel that people couldn't do for the last sixteen months.

For instance, Danelectro guitars on Reverb and Ebay are still rather high for the most part, but perusing Guitar Center's used gear site, I see prices surprisingly leveling off nicely on used Danos, so much so, that I'm seriously considering looking there first from now on during those times when I feel like adding another Dano to the collection (which is up to seven now). I think the crazy seller's market will turn into a buyer's market by fall, when people start gearing up for a more normal holiday season with all the spending on gifts.

As far as vintage guitars go, I think that market might take a serious dump, the way it did in 2008 during the worldwide financial crisis. Quite a few dealers are worried about this and have said so publicly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where you are may play into it as well. Locally I am not finding too many deals, and things I do want are either no where to be found, or still sky high.

Things I am not as interested in such as a Fender MIM, for example are starting to fall and be more available then the same time last year. I expect by fall things will really settle, and we will see where things really are at.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm not even sure that Covid pricing is even a thing north of the border. Sure, I've seen people asking over-inflated prices for gear, but that's nothing new, and it seems that most of the overpriced stuff just sits and sits and doesn't sell. People can ask whatever they want, but it doesn't mean anyone is going to pay it.

I've gotten some of my best deals ever during Covid. I've bought 4 guitars and two amps in the last year for VERY reasonable prices.

Now, in the US, it seems they actually have legit Covid pricing going on. For example, people are willingly paying $1600 for amps that were regularly going for half that a couple of years ago. I think part of that is the Covid money the US government was handing out to stimulate the economy. I guess it's easier for people to overpay for stuff when it's free money. :D

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
Asking prices still seem up there but a lot of stuff is definitely sitting on the market longer than it was a year ago.
I also see less stuff on the market. Like there used to be piles of some things at any given moment; I think people reassessed whether to break out the old toys due to isolation boredom and re-fell in love.... or at least found it fun, better than just TV all the time. Then again there are people in desperate financial straights due to covid so also could be some deals because of that but that feels like minority to me. Then again again some people may not be listing cuz not into dealing with people, for either psyche or straight up covid reasons.

I dunno if people have been taking reasonable offers on things, because I haven't even been trying, but the asks are waaaaaay up in general. I see a lot of it just relisted ad nauseum with the same 1.5 to 3 times the going rate I remember pre pandemic. Maybe it also depends on what you're looking at; I guess my tastes are atypical in some ways.

The problem is that this sort of thing is viral; people see others asking that much, don't bother checking what stuff actually sells for (you can't on kijiji but you can on ebay, and kinda on Reverb) so give a what-the-heck go for their similar thing at a similar ask. More people see that now there's 2 listings at that price point and you get the snowball effect from there. Some of these people are stupid / dreamers ( this existed pre pandemic), but also there is the problem, due to the lower volume of sales I mentioned (fewer items listed at any one time + high asks) I can no longer find eg ebay completed listings for some things, and when I can they're sometimes 6+ months back, or as is for parts/ repair, or something that makes them not entirely valid/useful.

Reactions: tomee2

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think this market analysis is spot on by you guys. I'm actually looking forward to the next year or two when the economy tanks as badly as 2007 (and it will) so I can pick up a few really nice guitars for good prices.

·
Premium Member
'93 MIJ Jaguar, Epiphone Dot, Squier Bass VI, Blueridge BR70 acoustic.
41 Posts
I buy and sell a lot of pedals. JHS anything would sell within 48 from last March until this March. Now they're going to sit for a little while if you don't want to give them away.
It might be because he's been making such outstanding videos lately about other companies stuff, he's influencing his own customer base to buy something else?

Seriously I don't own a single JHS pedal but that dude is the most awesome gear nerd on Youtube lately. And he can make your non JHS stuff skyrocket in price just by saying it's awesome, and if you've got the original box and it's in good shape, well HELLO!

I got a couple things to sell but keep waiting for some reason. I think it will turn into a buyers market very soon when people getting free cash and racking up debt go "oh crap".

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
It might be because he's been making such outstanding videos lately about other companies stuff, he's influencing his own customer base to buy something else?

Seriously I don't own a single JHS pedal but that dude is the most awesome gear nerd on Youtube lately. And he can make your non JHS stuff skyrocket in price just by saying it's awesome, and if you've got the original box and it's in good shape, well HELLO!

I got a couple things to sell but keep waiting for some reason. I think it will turn into a buyers market very soon when people getting free cash and racking up debt go "oh crap".
I used them as the example, but same has applied to most other pedals. Stuff is starting to sit longer than it used to, unless it's priced inexpensively of course.

I agree with your prediction of the upcoming buyer's market.

·
Premium Member
'93 MIJ Jaguar, Epiphone Dot, Squier Bass VI, Blueridge BR70 acoustic.
41 Posts
I used them as the example, but same has applied to most other pedals. Stuff is starting to sit longer than it used to, unless it's priced inexpensively of course.

I agree with your prediction of the upcoming buyer's market.
There's a ton of uncertainty going on.

Some people speculate on mortgages and stuff like that, some people aren't sure if they should sell that pedal they still like to fund something else they like more.

I think people want to get out and about (aboot?) take trips etc.

Best to hang on to stuff right now unless you're in a bind? I think I missed the window to sell high and I can wait.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts