The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't be the only one to have noticed significantly more deals on Kijiji these days, as well as used gear priced at the covid peak just getting reposted. I'm also seeing prices on reverb starting to taper off as well. Here are four pieces of gear I was looking at and the "trend" looks pretty similar: prices rising up until about Q1 2021, then starting to plummet. After looking through the pro I's and pro II's, the trend is not intact throughout, but having prices taper in higher end gear might be a leading indicator. Perhaps my lizard brain is just seeing a small scale correlation and extrapolating too far. Thoughts?
Picture1.jpg Picture2.jpg Picture3.jpg Picture4.jpg

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
I've been paying the 60%-80%-of-new on used gear the whole time. The guitar I just picked up was 20% off new price and nearly NOS.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been paying the 60%-80%-of-new on used gear the whole time. The guitar I just picked up was 20% off new price and nearly NOS.
This isn't to say deals were dead. Likely the majority of people nerdy enough to join a guitar forum probably kept buying things at what they perceived to be deals while simultaneously selling off gear at the higher market prices.
Not when you see Les Paul Studios for 1250
Funny you should mention this, looking at the reverb prices on the 98-2011 studios, their prices are going bananas:
Picture5.jpg

This could be similar to condos and houses in Toronto. Once people got priced out of houses, the prices on condos started to outpace house price growth. Or I could be mansplaining this whole thing.
Asking prices still seem up there but a lot of stuff is definitely sitting on the market longer than it was a year ago.
Not to mention a lot more users being registered in the last 6 months on GC than I've seen in a long time. And far more FS/FT ads being posted than ever. Stuff used to be able to stay on page 1 for a few days, but now it seems like guitars only stay on page 1 for a day, if not a few hours.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2-3 months into the correction, my opinion. Warmer weather/covid & supports declining
That would be about the same as my Q1 2021 peak call. But what did you mean by "covid & supports declining"? Is the "&" a typo and you're talking about CERB etc benefits?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Heck, I got my latest for what I would consider a deal, but there are still a lot of ridiculously high prices out there (Peavey Vypyr 30 mini stack for $1100?!?). That said, overall, things seem to be correcting a little. Just in time for me to try to purge. Greeeeeat.

·
Premium Member
9,729 Posts
That would be about the same as my Q1 2021 peak call. But what did you mean by "covid & supports declining"? Is the "&" a typo and you're talking about CERB etc benefits?
no typo
covid declining
financial supports on the way out/other priorities for their use

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
"Hey, let's go to Mexico over the holidays. We can now...if you sell these we can afford it easily" ...eyeing up that pile of guitars in the closet...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I’m thinking so, I have a few items that would have been no brainers 6 months ago that are getting interest, but not flying off the shelf Same day

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
And what's a new studio cost?
You're right, they're 1900 + tax. Personally, I'm not willing to pay 1250 for a 2006, but perhaps someone else out there is! So is the general consensus that we should adjust prices to fit the current new price for the current model, if the previous model is no longer available? I.e. an American standard should be priced according to what American Professional II's go for new?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I think at least a portion of it is due to the fact that we're 14+ months into this thing now and perhaps people who were new or returning to the hobby have kinda sorted themselves out to an extent. I had been cycling through stuff at a heavier than normal clip for a year or so before covid, but absolutely went ape shit for most of 2020 with guitars and amps. After sorting out a final wrinkle a few months ago, I'm not doing much on the gear front aside from swapping pedals around.

And what's a new studio cost?
I had to look it up, but they're $1900 new apparently and Gear Hunter prices are 1500-1600 so really I guess I'd expect to see 1100-1500 on Kijiji. Whether they're worth that or not...

You're right, they're 1900 + tax. Personally, I'm not willing to pay 1250 for a 2006, but perhaps someone else out there is! So is the general consensus that we should adjust prices to fit the current new price for the current model, if the previous model is no longer available? I.e. an American standard should be priced according to what American Professional II's go for new?
Prices of used always seem to rise along with whatever the prices of new are. Also, usually someone selling something really new (like an Am Pro II) prices it virtually at the new price. I think it puts it more on the buyer to figure out if the newer model is an improvement on the old or not. It's unfortunate because it makes it easier for people to get ripped off if they're uneducated in whatever the guitar is.

As an example, I've generally found standard run Gibson stuff from 2019-present to be considerably higher quality than what I've seen from the mid 2000's-2018, so there's no chance I'd pay those prices for used of that era. With Fender stuff, I do prefer the American Pro stuff that I've tried, but I don't know that there's really any discernable quality difference between that and a 2010 or whatever.

I don't know what these things are actually selling for though. I sold an LP Studio 2-3 years ago for $900 and LP Standard's I've moved for $1800-2300.

·
Registered
158 Posts
^ I sold my studio recently for just a hair over $1k, but I was very fortunate as all the stars aligned for that one. I wouldn't want to sell now.

I think prices are going to come down even more as the bored, who started playing because of COVID, sell their gear. It will be even more interesting to see what happens when certain countries hit a huge recession in the next year or two.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I.e. an American standard should be priced according to what American Professional II's go for new?
No, and the reasoning is so dumb: because the name changed. For an LP studio the through line is easy to follow because it's just different spec eras of the same model. Fender's constant need to change model names destroys that easy comparison for the casuals. The 08-16 Standards sell at a consistent $300 discount to the professional 1's. And we're already on the pro 2's. Pro 3's incoming? Maybe just annualized releases: Introducing the Fender Professional 2023s, obliterates the 2022s.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
No, and the reasoning is so dumb: because the name changed. For an LP studio the through line is easy to follow because it's just different spec eras of the same model. Fender's constant need to change model names destroys that easy comparison for the casuals. The 08-16 Standards sell at a consistent $300 discount to the professional 1's. And we're already on the pro 2's. Pro 3's incoming? Maybe just annualized releases: Introducing the Fender Professional 2023s, obliterates the 2022s.
A frustrating thing with Gibson Studios though is there used to be just one, a "Studio" and it came in wine red, black, or white. Then they added Faded finish (cheaper), AAA tops (pricier), HP models, Tributes, etc. over the years. In 2013/14 I think there were 3 models under the gloss finished "Studio" with faded finishes and maple necks.
In the used market I'm seeing these all lumped together, generally with the cheaper models having asking prices way above what they sold for new.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Then they added Faded finish (cheaper), AAA tops (pricier), HP models, Tributes, etc. over the years.
I know what you mean, but I far prefer having set tiers with variations within those tiers than revamping lines over and over. Faded means the same thing regardless of which tier it's attached to for Gibson's. The word "deluxe" in Fender land could refer to American Deluxe Strat or Tele, Deluxe Player Strat or Tele, American Professional Telecaster Deluxe, MIM Tele Deluxe, Fender Deluxe Series (spans the entire product line), the new American (de)Luxe line, etc etc. An ad saying "Fender Deluxe Telecaster" could be like 9 different guitars spanning the whole price range.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
I know what you mean, but I far prefer having set tiers with variations within those tiers than revamping lines over and over. Faded means the same thing regardless of which tier it's attached to for Gibson's. The word "deluxe" in Fender land could refer to American Deluxe Strat or Tele, Deluxe Player Strat or Tele, American Professional Telecaster Deluxe, MIM Tele Deluxe, Fender Deluxe Series (spans the entire product line), the new American (de)Luxe line, etc etc. An ad saying "Fender Deluxe Telecaster" could be like 9 different guitars spanning the whole price range.
Absolutely. Fender is really confusing comparing stuff over the years.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts