The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WC, I thought so, but when I bought it, it was identified as the OT... but I kinda thought the PT was the big one. This is a 63 VV reissue that was handwired later in it's life... I wonder if it's worth replacing the OT and Choke with Mercuries? Comments??? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
No it is not worth replacing the original choke, reverb driver, and OT with Mercuries if they are still in perfect working order. I mean Mercury is good iron, but also very expensive ( almost double or more in some cases vs eg Hammond) and not that good ( that much better proportional to price). Also usually you don’t get that investment back in terms of resale value. The originals are almost always worth more. If you need a replacement and want something flashier than Hammond, check Classic Tone first. Often not much more than a Hammond ( but in US so the shipping can kill it; still much cheaper than Mercury). They don’t have as many model-specific replacements as Mercury, but just about any Fender/Marshall/Vox they got. For my Sunn or other more obscure/ not as popular brands there are much fewer options other than Mercury which are super expensive due to huge.​

That said, if anything is ‘upgraded’ the most value is the OT. The guy who sold this to you knew that and that’s why he lied ( I doubt it was an honest mistake). That sort of ‘error’ would keep me from buying.

For future you can tell PT because :

- proximity to rectifier tube and power cord
- lay down flat style ( one winding is up, vs 2 lobes left and right with core in middle). Usually this means PT but a few OT s are like this, and sometimes PTs aren’t, but most of the time.
- if one T is in the middle vs one side or another, that is the OT ( also proximity speaker jacks and power tubes).

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks GG, I believe it was an honest mistake on the PT vs OT... the guy I bought it from may know less about amps than I do (and I know nothing!)... and he’s an honest fellow ... I paid $1250 for this amp with no speakers... which I thought was a deal! For the record, it’s a 1990 ‘63 Brown Vibroverb reissue... all reworked as you see in the pics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts