The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you play songs you are moving from note to note or chord to chord. Do you really need a guitar with a lot of sustain? What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
When you play songs you are moving from note to note or chord to chord. Do you really need a guitar with a lot of sustain? What do you guys think?
I do.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I have a Firebird V.
It has a lot of sustain.
It sounds great unplugged.
It is the best guitar ever built.
There are many like it.
But this one is mine.
Canadian Guitarist Haiku? ;-)

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Sustain is a good indicator that a guitar is resonant, usually a desirable musical quality. If the guitar 'sustains' due to weight alone, or has a unpleasant resonance then it's a different ballgame.

A guitar with short sustain can work for some things I guess, reggae etc.

P

·
0 Posts
Sustain is like the battery in an electric car. Would you like it to go 40km or 400km on a charge? If you are only going to take short trips the 40km battery will work just fine. But if you want a long, searing, memorable road trip, get the other one.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sustain is fine, as long as we don’t go back to extremes like the heavy brass hardware and massive solid bodies of the 80’s. Those things are a slipped disk waiting to happen and in my opinion, sacrifice comfort and ergonomics for minimal to no gains in “sustain”.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
There's a point of diminished returns. For virtually infinite sustain one requires controllable electronics, but for that glorious chord to chord, note to note acoustically generated sustain, sustain only needs to get you to the next string articulation with some lingering reverberation.

One of the charming things about guitar is its ability to sustain with just the right amount of decay.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Yes I do. I'd like the guitar to have great sustain and not rely on compression from gain or a compressor. It's easier to just mute the note ;)

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
Sustain potential simply offers a choice. It's not like it's something you have to fight against. If you need it for this note or that, or a chord strum, it's there. If you don't want or need it, that's what the meat of your picking hand is for.

One does have to differentiate between the timbral and level aspects of sustain. The poster child for this is big jazz boxes with floating bridges. That body style yields lots of sustain, but primarily for the note fundamental and lower-order harmonics, with the floating bridge often eating up much of harmonic content after the initial pick attack (though this will vary with specific design).

·
Premium Member
11,865 Posts
I put my LPC down 3 days ago. The last notes are still ringing ........

And it's fair to say, sometimes you may want to limit the sustain with palm muting or something similar - thus the complete absence of ashtrays on Tele's, for the most part. Seemed like a good idea at the time, I guess. You can always 'staccato' a sustainy guitar, but not the other way around.

I find a lot of variety between higher end and cheaper acoustics in this respect as well.

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
It depends on what you are playing--and sometimes people overstate the case for sustain--but sometimes it's great to have
Although one thing I like about my hollow body is that the decay on a note is faster than the solidbodies--gievs it a different sound--which sometimes fits.
But it still has more than enough sustain.

Reactions: Jimmy The Gent

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,114 Posts
NO!

Reactions: cheezyridr
1 - 20 of 24 Posts