The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya, I Dr. Seus'd the title all right... :)

I have an Agile Les Paul... snagged it super cheap and it's super nice. Fav guitar I've ever owned. But, it could be better.

I plan to put the Slash Alnico II Pro's in it, and switch the pots as well. I'd like to swap the chrome to gold, but the hardware is too good a quality to warrant a cosmetic swap like that.

Neck is fine, few small buzz spots, action a tad high.

I've gotten pretty proficient with fret dressing. Have done 4 so far with good results. That said, I don't want to risk a mess-up on this one, and since I don't have an abundance of guitars to practice on, I'd rather have a pro handle it or PLEK.

What do you guys think of the PLEK? Is it worth it? Anyone try it through Long & McQuade?

Sounds like a good thing, but the more I read the pricier it gets... strings extra, nut extra, even setup after done is extra and I thought a setup was part of the process, but just neck/frets no bridge action or intonation.

But... could take it in to someone who isn't any better than myself, which is the thing I'm trying to avoid.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
But... could take it in to someone who isn't any better than myself, which is the thing I'm trying to avoid.
This is my fear when I take anything in for repair or service, including me. Somewhere out there is the worst luthier, doctor, dentist, mechanic, and chef in the world ... could this be them?

P

·
0 Posts
I tried it and I don't think it is any better than a good tech. I think it is more for high production.

Spend $150,000 on the machine, then you have to ram through 10-20 guitars a day, 7 days a week to keep the bankers at bay. no time to do proper work.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have several guitars with Plek jobs. A few are factory Gibson’s which are excellent and one guitar that I took to Ian Weston here in Ottawa for a Plek job. His work was like magic. I wouldn’t hesitate to have him do another of my guitars. Now, having L&M send a guitar to Toronto for a Plek job, I dunno.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have several guitars with Plek jobs. A few are factory Gibson’s which are excellent and one guitar that I took to Ian Weston here in Ottawa for a Plek job. His work was like magic. I wouldn’t hesitate to have him do another of my guitars. Now, having L&M send a guitar to Toronto for a Plek job, I dunno.
Ya, it was Les Pauls that got me first interested in the PLEK ... but I'm an hour from any real city (London) so options a bit limited. I know L&M have it, but, they're kinda the Walmart of music stores... not always a bad thing, but, no idea what the skill level is of the guy at the counter... could be a trumpet player and knows nothing about guitars. Then I assume they don't do it in-house, so shipped to someone and just gotta hope they know what I want done (ie. action height and such).

I'd take it to someone with a really good rep for this work, but again, semi-remote area and I don't know any other guitar players so, have no names to go by either. :D

PLEK to me seems the more consistent option... so long as the operator knows how to use it. But again, pricey, and doesn't include a top nut, or setup of the bridge when done. If it were all inclusive I'd go for it... but because costs extra, I'm trying to figure out if it's "that" much better than a hand done setup.

... and I guess if I'm brave enough to do it myself.

So far every guitar I've done myself has improved, but weren't great to begin with. Still a mystery buzz on my Squier though. This one's good already.... so greater chance of making it worse than better. :D

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Then I assume they don't do it in-house, so shipped to someone and just gotta hope they know what I want done (ie. action height and such).
They send the guitars to Toronto where they have the PLEK machine.

PLEK to me seems the more consistent option... so long as the operator knows how to use it. But again, pricey, and doesn't include a top nut, or setup of the bridge when done. If it were all inclusive I'd go for it... but because costs extra, I'm trying to figure out if it's "that" much better than a hand done setup.
This may be the case with L&M, but in general I don't think its an accurate statement. My expectation would be that a Plek job would also be accompanied with any other necessary work. And the nut is part of the Plek setup. I can't imagine having a guitar Plek'd but not otherwise set up properly. It's all connected. Now how it's priced from shop to shop might vary depending on the scope of work involved to get the guitar playing perfectly, so I can't comment on that.

BTW the Plek machine levels your frets, so I don't think you should compare it to a 'hand done setup', I think it's more akin to having your frets leveled & nut slots checked/cut.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always considered a setup to include fret level/crown... otherwise many mid-lower end guitars I think would have great action and major buzzing. :)

That Squier with the mystery-buzz (probably simple fix just been too busy) has a great neck, but wow, past the 12th fret, they were all over the place. And sharp... had to file the top and sides on that one.

Anyways... PLEK pricing at Long & McQuade...

$40 - Initial scan (mandatory)
$140 - Fret level/crown
$140 - Nut
*Prices do not include setup
$65 - Setup
Plus $10 for non-locking trem, $20 for locking trem, $10 if neck needs removed for truss adjustment

What I don't get is, how do they check the PLEK work when done if not setup?

So... on a Les Paul (non-trem) I guess.... wow $385! +tax

I heard around $120-$140 and thought maybe try... but then adding up the rest... wow!

P

·
0 Posts
I always considered a setup to include fret level/crown... otherwise many mid-lower end guitars I think would have great action and major buzzing. :)

That Squier with the mystery-buzz (probably simple fix just been too busy) has a great neck, but wow, past the 12th fret, they were all over the place. And sharp... had to file the top and sides on that one.

Anyways... PLEK pricing at Long & McQuade...

$40 - Initial scan (mandatory)
$140 - Fret level/crown
$140 - Nut
*Prices do not include setup
$65 - Setup
Plus $10 for non-locking trem, $20 for locking trem, $10 if neck needs removed for truss adjustment

What I don't get is, how do they check the PLEK work when done if not setup?

So... on a Les Paul (non-trem) I guess.... wow $385! +tax

I heard around $120-$140 and thought maybe try... but then adding up the rest... wow!
After it was all done I still had the same issues I went in for, I was told is that's the nature of the guitar... Also I was told I had to change my brand of strings. Apparently Ernie Ball strings are no good. Also I had to go up a gauge. 9's will never work. Then I was told a guitar couldn't be good at both chords and lead. Pick one. And then some more stuff...

Another thing I hate is the luthiers in my area think it is an inside joke to use a garbage junk cheap $20 amp to check out the electric guitars. Almost all of them do it. When I question them about it they laugh and think it's really clever. But they cannot actually check their work because the amp is a toy. At one place they actually were proud of the fact they were using an actual toy they got out of the garbage somewhere...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a crap shoot... sadly I was gung-ho for PLEK until I found the full price list and did the math. Snagged the guitar for $200... makes no sense to spend double that on the PLEK. I'd rather buy a 2nd guitar. :D

... same time, I'm worried about running into your situation.

Anyone on here have "a guy" that's highly recommended and you've used in the London area?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
For me nothing beats the touch of a talented luthier. I'll travel for a good one. Right now I have a tele being refretted by Freddys Frets. Going off his stellar reviews I'm hoping for big things. He's over an hour away from me but as I said I'll travel and even farther than that if I have to. I've taken acoustics and electrics to Folkway music with excellent results. They are a bit on the expensive side though.
I was recommended Bobs guitar repair in Kitchener but he was way on the expensive side.

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Take it to gregg fraser and enjoy your new setup. Super quick turnarounds and he is local. I have been wailing on the prs he repaired for me with no complaints.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Sounds like the Plek machine is only as good as the guy running it. Gibson was taking a beating at last years Namm for just giving a basic Plek on the guitars when the machine was capable of much more. Effectively giving the Plek company a bad name when Gibson was supposed to be showcasing the pinnacle of the machine’s abilities. Unless people are raving about a certain shop’s Plek ability just go find a good luthier.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Sounds like the Plek machine is only as good as the guy running it. Gibson was taking a beating at last years Namm for just giving a basic Plek on the guitars when the machine was capable of much more. Effectively giving the Plek company a bad name when Gibson was supposed to be showcasing the pinnacle of the machine’s abilities. Unless people are raving about a certain shop’s Plek ability just go find a good luthier.
The problem is, whether its a PLEK or a luthier set up "one size fits all", isn't going to work. If you're going to do mass setups then a basic setup is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Heck, I don't know but we had gotten along without PLEK for years so my guess from what I've seen and read is that it is super accurate but it is also a way of making more money when it may not be necessary.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool, sent an email asking for pricing. Will go from there. Guitar is 90% perfect as is... just wanna get that last 10% done, and upgrade the pots and pickups. At that point, that guitar will be mine 'til I die. :D

I have a few guitars I like but willing to sell... but not this one. That's why looking to put some money into it and get it exactly how I want it.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Kinda glad I didn't buy that first Plek machine in Canada. Seriously thought about it, but my local luthier buddy wasn't jazzed on doing a joint venture project, so I shelved the idea. With guitar's popularity seemingly waning and given our poor location here on the prairies, I'm thinking it would've been an uphill battle anyhow and my capital resources would have been put to more profitable use elsewhere as I've made a pretty fair profit on same in the interim.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts