·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Not hype but interesting.

Reactions: apixamonkey

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
I'd still be interested in checking it out...
If I could get in & also there's the travel.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
All NAMM is is hype. That's literally it's entire raison d'ettre. It's an Industry networking and marketing event; there is nothing else, not even sales (though there may be some ordering).

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
All NAMM is is hype. That's literally it's entire raison d'ettre. It's an Industry networking and marketing event; there is nothing else, not even sales (though there may be some ordering).
My main interest would be in the weird & unusual stuff--the oddities as it were--and I am looking forward to the 2019 version of NAMM Oddities.

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
worth to go at least once, not so much for every year unless you got a business with those suppliers, brands etc
Well sure--the cost of travel as well would cut down on that for me.
So I have the local Guitar show each year

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
agreed with the networking and marketing bit
Exactly. This used to be a trade show that's now become a consumer expo.

CES just left Vegas - the next trade show coming in is for the concrete business. I bet there aren't a lot of looky-loos in that one, although it is listed as one of the larger trade events to happen there. Go figure - concrete's not so sexy, unless you're a Hoffa fan.

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
I have to admit that when my son the civil engineer told me he was really stoked for a course on concrete he would be taking in final year, I was a little taken aback. Some folks think concrete is fascinating. I don't understand it. I just accept it.

Having only been to one NAMM - the smaller one - I quite enjoyed it. But it did tend to be geared mostly to retailers. The morning plenary sessions were almost all about things that mattered to retailers. Still, I got to chat with a lot of folks about design; something I couldn't normally otherwise do. Actually, let me change that. I got to yell at people about design, and they pleasantly yelled back to me. Think about your typical Saturday morning music store, and multiply volume level that by 500.

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
what local show you recommend?
There are various ones listed on here.
There is a website for shows in Calgary, Edmonton, Regina & Saskatoon
I know there is one in Vancouver & I have seen several listed for shows in Ontario.
I can't comment on all of them, but they are most likely worth checking into & going at least once.
The more we support them, the better they will be.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts