The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the gold plating or whatever on gold pickup covers flake off or come off?
and if so, how long does it take and is it easy to do?

In addition, if there are any good pickups covers for a humbucker somebody could suggest, that would be awesome too :D

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
yeah the gold will wear off. If you WANT it off, you can use something like a jewelers polish to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I still will go with gold covers. Does anybody know if brass covers are available? If they are solid brass they shouldnt wear off or anything, I think.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would suggest against polishing them (screws with the magnetic elements of the pickup). both chrome and gold plating will come off eventually. I think it looks really good when it happens

·
Registered
316 Posts
I tried to sell a $3000 Paul Reed Smith for a guy last year that had gold hardware, the pickup covers were very well worn after only a year or two. Gold colored hardware doesn't appeal to me for this very reason. If it's going to wear so easily, I say why bother, why not chrome right from the start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I actually like the patina of that worn gold hardware makes it look like you actually play the guitar as opposed to admiring it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts