The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about if you replace pups in an older guitar ? I have a 67 tele and the bridge pickup died in it. So I replaced the pair with a set of custom shop Texas Tele pickups. The pickups do sound better than the originals. I have also changed the selector switch to a 4 position. Would this still be considered a desirable vintage tele? Original wood/bridge tuners etc.
Not that I want to sell it, I like it way too much, just wondering what the definitions for vintage are and when do you cross the line. :confused-smiley-010

·
Registered
233 Posts
Did you keep the original parts?
That's important, even if they aren't functional.
Even with the replaced parts and even if you didn't keep the originals; a 67 telecaster is still worth several thousand dollars.
Yes; it's still vintage.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The vintage/collectable value has been reduced quite a bit by changing the pickups.
If you still have the originals, you can send the dead bridge pickup out and have it rewound, which would probably still be worth a bit less to a collector, but not as much less as a pickup change. Hopefully you saved the switch too.

However, that's only for someday when you might decide to sell it. I think a vintage guitar should be played, and the changes you made make it more playable for you. There is some kind of 'mojo' in old wood like that, so enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I still have the original pickup for the bridge but not the neck. The pickup change actually has made the guitar a much better sounding guitar especially for playing. It is a mojo guitar, it has a sound and feel that none of my other guitars do. I picked it up in 73 and it has been with me ever since. Who knew back then what they would be worth today, you just wanted a great feeling and great sounding guitar, which it is.... At this point in time I could not ever see selling it, it's been part of me for a long time. Probably end up going to my kids when I'm gone and they can deal with it. I was just kind of interested in knowing what kind of value it would have so I could educate them. :)

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts