The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve has a pretty terrible experience with a pickup manufacturer and would like to warn others to steer clear. But I don’t want to break any forum rules. I read the following from the rules:

Do not post unsubstantiated, defamatory comments about businesses and people you have had dealings with.​

What about substantiated comments? Are those okay?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I'm pretty sure every second post on here is someone shitting on something.
However, maybe instead of a warning, post about your experience you had and let people figure the rest out.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Provided the company in question has had sufficient opportunity to resolve the issue I believe it should be reported to protect future customers.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good points, all. Yes, it is a good idea to stick to the facts and basically keep opinion out of it. If it’s bad enough, those should speak for themselves.

I mostly asked because I don’t want to break any forum rules.

·
Premium Member
8,484 Posts
I had something similar happen to me with pick-ups and a guitar.

I find that shitty business people tend to ruin their businesses on their own. I would rather them deprive their family from food on the table as opposed to me doing it.

I'm talking about small business. I'll still take a cheap shot here and there just to get a feel for the general thoughts concerning that business though (and usually if someone mentions it). I would also bury it in a thread - not start one. That said, I wouldn't think less of anyone who did.

There's a bunch of factors that going into a decision like this, imo.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I've also had a number of dealings with those who had unrealistic expectations. People that cannot be pleased no matter what. Fortunately they have been few

Sort of like 99 times out of 100 the customer is always right, but sometimes the customer can be a dick. (Not saying the OP is the 1% here of course)

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,116 Posts
I've also had a number of dealings with those who had unrealistic expectations. People that cannot be pleased no matter what. Fortunately they have been few

Sort of like 99 times out of 100 the customer is always right, but sometimes the customer can be a dick. (Not saying the OP is the 1% here of course)
I know who the OP is referring to and know several other people having similar problems. It's honestly a bit sad, the builder in question used to be a friend of mine and we had a falling out a while back because I couldn't rely on him for anything anymore.

·
Premium Member
11,865 Posts
I also think we need to know about these things. But I always consider a couple of things when I read a critique on a business:

1) who the poster is and if he bitches about everything, has unrealistic expectations, etc.
2) there are 3 sides to every story; yours, the business, and the truth somewhere in between. We are all tainted by our own perspective and we are most likely only going to hear one side.

That said, I still think it should be discussed. Perhaps others have had a similar experience, adding more credibility to 'the complainants' comments. Or others will jump in and defend the business, perhaps leading to resolution that was unachievable before hand. I also think businesses want to serve their customers to the point of satisfaction (considering point 1 is a real thing, sometimes that's just not possible).

That's my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@adcandour Yes, that is true. This guy is doing a pretty good job of tanking his own business. Chances are, it’s even the same one you had a bad experience with as he seems to have annoyed a lot of people.

Part of me is really mad and wants to lash out, but that's not going to do anyone any good. But I don't want to have other people lose their money as well. So based on the feedback above, I'll just say that if you are looking to buy pickups from someone in New Brunswick, do some research. Facebook has plenty of reviews.

That said, I still think it should be discussed. Perhaps others have had a similar experience, adding more credibility to 'the complainants' comments. Or others will jump in and defend the business, perhaps leading to resolution that was unachievable before hand.
Haha! :) I'm pretty sure I'm not the dick in this case. Let's just say that I think 11 months of waiting without receiving anything is plenty generous for a customer. I know some people who complain about every transaction they make, but that isn't the case here. I don't want to shame someone in public to get me what I want. I've actually tried to be pretty civil, and tried privately get help from someone else who knows this person, but that didn't work either. At this point, I just need to cut my losses and encourage people to do some digging before trusting some of the older positive reviews (all the negative ones were made after I placed my order, of course!)

I really do want to see businesses succeed, especially when they make a (supposedly) great product. Hopefully he can turn it around some day, but for now, do some extra research.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
If you have supporting information for your comments, I don't see any problem with posting a warning.

Seem to remember that there were similar threads about Canadian Breed a few years back.

·
Premium Member
11,865 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
11 months in, and knowing full well others are having problems too? I'd be in full on disclosure mode, including telling my story and linking to anyplace else where there was evidence of shenanigans.

I would definitely see it as helping the community, preventing further potential grief.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Our American friends don’t seem to have trouble speaking their mind on bad businesses, I respect that. So here is just a little screen cap from one of those on the topic, that’s all — I don’t have a stake in the game except despising bad customer service and the Canadianism of letting them off the hook as policy, thereby allowing them to continue to exist and screw more of us.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: I’ve removed the screen cap of the FB post referenced above as the situation has been drastically clarified. See https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/sanford-magnetics-and-a-story-of-self-immolation.179913/

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I will make a statement here. The business in question is Sanford Magnetics. I told him he should have made an official statement on his website to alert people about his situation. He said he marked all of his pickups as "sold out" on his site and he's not accepting new orders at the moment. I wish he would have gone a little further than that.

The issues? First, his main employee quit on him which put him behind on orders. Then he got pretty ill for a bit in which I believe he was somewhat bedridden this summer. Once he got better and things got going again, he was in a bad bike accident this summer and broke his hand. His bone healed, but he suffered nerve damage in his arm. He knows he's in trouble and feels bad. He's still winding pickups as much as he can, and he's just trying to work thru it.

So, in short, he's had horrible luck this summer and he's on the verge of ruining his reputation/business..I can tell from my conversation with him that he's overwhelmed. I told him to stay focused and work thru completing his orders, and to hopefully keep his customers up to date on things.

I hope it clears things up a bit.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts