The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it my imagination, or is modern rock music beginning to sound all the same?

There seems to be two styles...1) Really SAPPY songs about basically nothing substantial i.e. Blue October's "Hate Me"...WTF!!!! :eek:

or 2) Songs that sound like a blend of Nickelback & Nirvana, with that grundgy guitar and that practically irritating octave singing (either two voices singing an octave apart, or one through an octave device, can't tell), paralleled by a third-up high harmony.

I've been listening to a Lethbridge, AB station for a while, and they run thru the same set of tunes every hour or so, peppered with classics.

What happened to melody? :confused-smiley-010

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've never heard of Blue October.
All that Nickleback, Theory of a Deadman, Default, Puddle of Mudd....all follows the same formula...that's kind of died off a bit thankfully.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
There's so many acts and so little room on the charts that as soon as something works everybody tries to do their own variation: thank god for the few bright spots. It's not just music, but movies and tv too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Developed

What you hear on the radio is the result of the big record companies just wanting hits.......so its all gonna sound like the group de jour. Long gone is the development of a band....hence all these flash in the pan types. Flip side to this RUSH is realeasing their 18th studio album.
You'll never see Nickelback do that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rippinglickfest said:
What you hear on the radio is the result of the big record companies just wanting hits.......so its all gonna sound like the group de jour. Long gone is the development of a band....hence all these flash in the pan types. Flip side to this RUSH is realeasing their 18th studio album.
A. You'll get no argument from me on that.
B. That's why I roll my own.
C. Oddly enough, Nickelback has a slim chance of going the distance. I said 'slim'.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...mainstream radio will put just about anybody off music. turn it off.

mainstream radio has been playing the same six songs for an entire generation. it is a rotting corpse.

the problem, of course, is that as we get older, we fall "out of the loop". we no longer hang out at record stores or sit around with our friends turning each other on to our latest "discovery".

at any given time, there is a world of great music being made. subscribe to satellite radio (if it survives) or get an ipod and load it up (too expensive and time consuming for me). or get into listening to music on your computer, hooked up to a decent stereo.

-dh

·
Registered
635 Posts
david henman said:
...mainstream radio will put just about anybody off music. turn it off.

mainstream radio has been playing the same six songs for an entire generation. it is a rotting corpse.

the problem, of course, is that as we get older, we fall "out of the loop". we no longer hang out at record stores or sit around with our friends turning each other on to our latest "discovery".

at any given time, there is a world of great music being made. subscribe to satellite radio (if it survives) or get an ipod and load it up (too expensive and time consuming for me). or get into listening to music on your computer, hooked up to a decent stereo.

-dh
What he said. There's always great music being made- it's just a matter of whether you're actively seeking it out anymore. For the most part, listening to the radio isn't going to introduce you to anything good.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
That Blue October song actualy is a very powerful, if you listen from the very begining.
It starts with this guys mom calling him (and this was the actual message left on his machine) the next day he is found dead by his own hand...True story.

I like the radio more as background music but when I want to hear good music I go IPOD or turn to the internet. My #1 internet station is icebergeradio.com every type of music with no commercial and completly free.

If you are bored with all the mainstream stuff then its time to look at the other music out there. youtube is great for this, once you watch a video it gives you options of simular music..find some cool stuff this way. Just watch the time...

Bev

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nine said:
What he said. There's always great music being made- it's just a matter of whether you're actively seeking it out anymore. For the most part, listening to the radio isn't going to introduce you to anything good.
Thanks....lol I know that radio is NOT the source. It happened to be on when I assumed my wellsite shack, and out of some kind of morbid interest I decided to listen to what was being played. The word "crap" comes to mind. But everyone's responses so far have confirmed that my imagination was still fresh and lively....:p :wink:

....and reconfirmed why I feel fortunate, and I'm sure many of you do too, that we all can make music WE LIKE. I was simply amazed how homogenous-sounding all these tunes were, in the same manner as backwards hats and baggy pants are in modern youth fashion. NOTHING STANDS OUT.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with most of what has been said but also you have to keep in mind that we are getting older. Not relating to what is being currently released as popular music is a sure sign.

I think people forget that. I remember my dad telling me everything I listened to growing up sounded exactly the same but I didn't think so at all and still don't. He plays guitar as well so he has a musical ear.

:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Natural Selection

mrdylan said:
I agree with most of what has been said but also you have to keep in mind that we are getting older. Not relating to what is being currently released as popular music is a sure sign.

I think people forget that. I remember my dad telling me everything I listened to growing up sounded exactly the same but I didn't think so at all and still don't. He plays guitar as well so he has a musical ear.

:DevilGuitar:
I think its more to do with being very, very selective as we get older. I'm up on whats out there, and some of it is good, a lot of it is vacuous.
But I know what I like............lets put it that way.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sneakypete said:
just a sure sign of aging...next you`ll be wearing your pants up under your arm pits.
The latest fashion: Octogenarian Hip Hobble....pants to the armpits, crotch to the ankles.

·
Registered
635 Posts
rippinglickfest said:
But I know what I like............lets put it that way.
And then eventually that "I know what I like" attitude evolves into a reluctance to try anything new. Haha.

So, in summary, the three stages of life are:

Young- try it all. If it doesn't kill you, try it again.

Middle- taste is getting refined. You know what you like and seek out more.

Old- You know what you like and insist that nothing good has been released since. And those kids are on your DAMN LAWN AGAIN!

·
Registered
822 Posts
rippinglickfest said:
Actually, most of the classic rock that's being played to death on the radio today was never suitable for radio back when it was made. It was album rock. Underground music, remember? There were a few bands that had one hit off each album at the time, but today every song is remembered as being a hit. It was not representative of the bulk of top 40 music. The best music did not usually get airplay. It's the same today.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Original Sin

Lester B. Flat said:
Actually, most of the classic rock that's being played to death on the radio today was never suitable for radio back when it was made. It was album rock. Underground music, remember? There were a few bands that had one hit off each album at the time, but today every song is remembered as being a hit. It was not representative of the bulk of top 40 music. The best music did not usually get airplay. It's the same today.
These are two very different eras of creativity ............and my point is today there is no better or great original music, airplay or no airplay. The MAJORITY of it is shallow, non original and recycled which is exactly why they are playing the hell out of Classic Rock

1 - 20 of 42 Posts