Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 62.5%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit its kind of lost on me. $35(US) for a guitar pick. I get the need for heavy picks but .....great picks are sold by the dozens. I can lose 2 dozen DAVA's before I could justify a Blue Chip. There's even one guy on the AGF who charges extra freight????? to ship to Canada. Freight??really?? I don't know but I think the need to feed a hobby with trinkets is taking over.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well Joey Landreth plays with an expensive pick (Blue Chip 55) and you'd have a hard time finding a purdier tone. Course I'm pretty sure he could play like that before he got the pick.

But his ear is very developed, and he clearly hears/feels a difference. I bought the slide he uses (Rock Slide), and it's amazingly comfortable. Actually perfect.

I bought a pack of Tusq picks and I can definitely hear a nice difference on my acoustic. Last week I bought a thick $7 Ckicken Pick at L&M and it feels real nice on the string but is slippery in the fingers.

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
I've been using Bluechip picks for at least 5 years now. They are durable and sticks to my fingers. I use a the Jazz 50 which is equivalent to the Dunlop Jazz picks in size and appoximately the same thickness.

·
Premium Member
11,077 Posts
I poo-poo'd the idea until a bluegrass picker named Uwe Kruger put a Blue Chip in my hand. I went from that's bullshit to that's amazing in about 4 pickstrokes. That was about 4 years ago. Luckily, I haven't lost one yet and they wear forever, so I've doubtless broken even by now.

Biographical Information about the trio. | Kruger Brothers

Naturally, your milage may vary.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Yea, similarly, while I was testing >$5k guitars, the salesperson put a BC in my hands. In that higher end market, a $50 pick (1 % of guitar) made some sense. The guitars were so good sounding that you could hear the subtle, positive difference the BC made. If you don't have a guitar good enough, I doubt the difference would be noticeable, or matter.

I don't hear enough difference playing my electrics to justify it. Only for my acoustics.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Is there a Canadian supplier of Blue Chips? It seems I have some dollars that are getting hotter. Yes indeed, they are now burning a hole in my pocket.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,193 Posts
Guilty.... I use a BC, never would have dished out the money normally. Someone gifted me one though and now having played with it for so long I would gladly pay you replace it if I lost it ever!

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
For me it's not just the tone but also the 'feel' of it. I have different kinds of picks in here and I've never gone back to any other pick since I got the BC. I think I've only known one person who returned it or was not pleased with it but most people who have tried it and used it, never go back to other picks. For one thing, it really lasts like forever. LOL I was reading Gary878's post about having to lose 2 dozen Dava to justify the cost of it, that's not a lot let's say in my case over 5 years. It really pays for itself in the long run.

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
I had a real tortoise pick at one time, back before they were completely unobtainium . Lost it on a camping trip. :(

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
I do have some stone picks that cost a bit more than normal--but still a fraction of the Blue Chip...

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
The v-picks I swear by are $4-$6 for 90% of them and the rest are $10-$35. They have over 100 models.

I know that in Japan alone they buy about $250k worth of v-picks a year (retailing about $18-22k a month)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm nowhere near the point in my ability where I need to start worrying about how certain picks are going to affect my tone.. I'm perfectly happy for now with my jazz 3's
But if I ever get there, I'll have no problem exploring expensive picks

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I use a Bluechip TD35rb and love it. It's not just the warmer tone but how the pick almost sticks to my finger and thumb. Not to mention how it glides through the strings while flatpicking. I have a couple of V picks and a couple of Wegens but I still prefer the Bluechip.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I'm nowhere near the point in my ability where I need to start worrying about how certain picks are going to affect my tone.. I'm perfectly happy for now with my jazz 3's
But if I ever get there, I'll have no problem exploring expensive picks
Same here but I would like to try some. My problem is wondering if they would stay in my sweaty hands like my Dava picks do.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
I don't use em. Been using the same Dunlops since I started. I also don't throw them away. I have a pick that I believe was made in the 80's, has dents and chips. It's still usable for rock....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts