The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently recorded my guitar with pedals directly into a preamp,then I used an IR and recorded. I like the sound and I am thinking about getting an IR loader pedal to recreate the sound live. Any suggestions for the pedal?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want to do it on the cheap check out the Soniccake IR loader

I’ve been using one foe awhile with zero problems.

TG
The price is right...

The software plugin loader I bought for my DAW from the ir I like has 2 at once. If I get one I would like one that loads 2 also.

I read awhile ago the pedal ir loaders can have different levels of quality/resolution.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want to do it on the cheap check out the Soniccake IR loader

I’ve been using one foe awhile with zero problems.

TG
A review from AmazonL

Tiny Memory, adds 9.3ms Latency to Your Signal
Reviewed in Canada on December 30, 2020
Verified Purchase
I left it 2 stars because technically it does work, it's inexpensive, and feels solidly built; but I should be giving it 1 star. It works, but it works poorly.

Firstly, this unit has 242KB (that's not a typo - kilobytes!!!) of memory to load your own IR's. I wouldn't think it's even possible for manufacturers to FIND memory in quantities measured in KB these days, but here it is. My favourite single IR doesn't fit even if I delete all of the included ones. That said, there are a few totally usable included IR's but...

I measured the I/O (input/output) latency, i.e. the time it takes for this thing to process my guitar signal and it's a staggering 9.3ms. Worse is that if you "bypass" the IR pedal (their instructions say the only way to do this is to delete one IR from the unit so there's an empty slot and select that empty slot), it STILL delays your signal by 9.3ms! In the world of today's guitar playing and recoding that is totally unacceptable, and a dealbreaker. For comparison, the Mooer Radar states theirs is less than 2ms I/O latency.

I emailed Sonicake support to find out what the rated latency is supposed to be 3 days ago, no response. In this case, you certainly get what you pay for. Unless I hear something incredibly surprising from Sonicake in the next couple days, I'll return this and pay some more for something proper. You probably should too.

UPDATE: I finally heard back from Sonicake; not to offer help or confirm specs but instead to belittle me (my expectations aren't based in reality!?) and offer me free products in return for changing this review to a favourable one. Sorry, I'm not for sale. I've simply posted the facts and specs that the manufacturer opted to exclude from their descriptions. But Sonicake, I will edit my review for you, to reflect your company's 1-star business ethics.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You can find the Two Notes CAB-M used.

I think the Iridium and some multi-effects can do IRs.

Boss IR-200 is expensive.

Mooer Radar is cheap enough to buy two. It runs at 44.1khz.

There’s a Digitech.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Not sure who this reviewer is or how s/he got any of these measurements. Mine is fully loaded with York and Ownhammer IRs with no memory warnings or issues. Same with the latency numbers; how was this measured?

I’m not even disputing these claims outright, I just want a lot more info before I trust them.

TG

A review from AmazonL

Tiny Memory, adds 9.3ms Latency to Your Signal
Reviewed in Canada on December 30, 2020
Verified Purchase
I left it 2 stars because technically it does work, it's inexpensive, and feels solidly built; but I should be giving it 1 star. It works, but it works poorly.

Firstly, this unit has 242KB (that's not a typo - kilobytes!!!) of memory to load your own IR's. I wouldn't think it's even possible for manufacturers to FIND memory in quantities measured in KB these days, but here it is. My favourite single IR doesn't fit even if I delete all of the included ones. That said, there are a few totally usable included IR's but...

I measured the I/O (input/output) latency, i.e. the time it takes for this thing to process my guitar signal and it's a staggering 9.3ms. Worse is that if you "bypass" the IR pedal (their instructions say the only way to do this is to delete one IR from the unit so there's an empty slot and select that empty slot), it STILL delays your signal by 9.3ms! In the world of today's guitar playing and recoding that is totally unacceptable, and a dealbreaker. For comparison, the Mooer Radar states theirs is less than 2ms I/O latency.

I emailed Sonicake support to find out what the rated latency is supposed to be 3 days ago, no response. In this case, you certainly get what you pay for. Unless I hear something incredibly surprising from Sonicake in the next couple days, I'll return this and pay some more for something proper. You probably should too.

UPDATE: I finally heard back from Sonicake; not to offer help or confirm specs but instead to belittle me (my expectations aren't based in reality!?) and offer me free products in return for changing this review to a favourable one. Sorry, I'm not for sale. I've simply posted the facts and specs that the manufacturer opted to exclude from their descriptions. But Sonicake, I will edit my review for you, to reflect your company's 1-star business ethics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts