The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went back to a zoom gx3 as an amp simulator for late hours playing. I bought an iRig HD and amplitube with all the goodies and while it was good, the gx3 blew me away when I went back to it. So much richer and juicy. Like the difference between a dry SS practice amp to a 2x12 tube amp or something.

I’m thinking the sound device of this first Gen iPad mini must be lacking. Any thoughts from the iPros on here?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
17,179 Posts
It has a lot to do with how well you can dial things in. That takes practice.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a lot to do with how well you can dial things in. That takes practice.
Thanks, I do agree with that, however I have been tweaking the different amps and effects. I’m certainly not a pro with this stuff but I would think that by this time I would have been able to dial it in somewhat better. At this point, I’m not sure how much better I can make it without buying more effects, which I’m reluctant to do. I might try an EQ if they have one.

I mean it’s all good but the gx3 is so much better and without a lot of tweaking. That’s why I’m thinking it’s sound card differences (or whatever you call it in iPads) so wondering if there’s any good sound enhancing apps

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
How do you listen to what you are playing? Through headphones? If that is the case, I suggest getting a DAC headphone amp. The improvement is pronounced specially on lossless audio files. I use an Audioquest Dragonfly Black DAC which can be used with an iPad. I haven't tried it on a setup like yours so, take it with a grain of salt. I believe m_audio makes them too.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How do you listen to what you are playing? Through headphones? If that is the case, I suggest getting a DAC headphone amp. The improvement is pronounced specially on lossless audio files. I use an Audioquest Dragonfly Black DAC which can be used with an iPad. I haven't tried it on a setup like yours so, take it with a grain of salt. I believe m_audio makes them too.
Thanks, I will check that out.
And yes, using good quality headphones

Edit: I just gambled on the EQ and A/B’d them. Still no comparison to the Zoom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts