The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

ion Electric guitar or Epiphone les paul 100 - is it worth the upgrade?

• Keep the ion electric, not worth the upgrade`

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know very little about guitars. I play casually for fun, songs like clocks, mad world, house of the rising sun, whatever really. Ive had this ion electric guitar for probably 8-10 years, and my cousin owned it previously. Recently i was thinking about upgrading to something a bit better, but i dont need anything professional. the best guitar i could find in my price range used is the epiphone les paul 100, its 200$. Is this a decent upgrade? the "ion" brand only made one guitar i think, its like a knock off stratocaster, but alot of people on the internet say its actually not a bad guitar. The les paul the guy says is brand new, which would be nice since my ion is really old and hasnt had string changes in years. i also dont know how to change any parts or anything, so im just looking at the base guitars. the les paul doesnt come with an amp, but i still have my ion amp and i also have a fender electric bass amp. If i get the epiphone i plan to sell the ion, what should i do?

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Have you played the LP100 at a store to see what it is like? You may want to consider taking the ION in for setup and string change to improve it's playability and sound. A lot of people on the forum here change their strings like getting an oil change every three months, some more frequently. Leaving the old strings on and not getting a proper setup in years is like having your old car going without a tune up for years. It may be why it sounds dead. Should run you no more than $75 max.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
At least change the strings. For $10.00 it should improve the tone immensely. If you can't do it, the guy at the store would likely do it for you for free.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Agreed with everyone else, change the strings! lots of tutorials on youtube on string changing and maintenance. Jump in

As for the 2 guitars you are asking about, I don't have any experience with them, but my understanding is that these are both entry level grade. If your Ion is a strat copy, you may like the Epi more, or you may hate it. They are very different from each other. Spend some time at the local guitar shop and see what you like more. Long and McQuade rents all kinds of instruments, which is a great way to spend some real extended time playing other guitars through your amp. I think you'll find that once you start playing better built guitars that your tastes will change and so will your budget.
Lots of good guitars out there for a little more than what your current budget is if you can afford it

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I say get the LP100 only because thats what I played for 10+ years and enjoyed it. I also agree with the others that a string change and setup might just make your ION worth playing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts