The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for the great forum. As you've no doubt already guessed I'm new here, but I have already benefited greatly from some of the threads.
I do not play guitar, or any other musical instrument. I do however have a love of woodworking, finishing and re-finishing furniture, etc.
My son (16) does play guitar however, and thus my reason for being here.
He presently has two guitars, a really cheap Yamaha electric and a slightly more expensive Takamine acoustic/electric.
He has definitely outgrown the Yamaha, so I recently placed an order with Stewmac.com and got all the parts I need to build a Strat clone. I decided to make it easy for the first guitar build and bought a ready made neck and a pre-carved and routed body, so I can concentrate on finished and assembly/setup. If all goes well, I may venture further, but we'll wait and see how this turns out.
Anyway, I hope you can tolerate some dumb questions I may present.
Cheers
Edit: Oh, I just glanced at the thread 'Its A Blond by Lowtones. Drool
Absolutely gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
No question is dumb, if you don't ask how do you learn ??? good luck and feel free to ask advice, this is a good place for it....

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hello and thanks for the great forum. As you've no doubt already guessed I'm new here, but I have already benefited greatly from some of the threads.
I do not play guitar, or any other musical instrument. I do however have a love of woodworking, finishing and re-finishing furniture, etc.
My son (16) does play guitar however, and thus my reason for being here.
He presently has two guitars, a really cheap Yamaha electric and a slightly more expensive Takamine acoustic/electric.
He has definitely outgrown the Yamaha, so I recently placed an order with Stewmac.com and got all the parts I need to build a Strat clone. I decided to make it easy for the first guitar build and bought a ready made neck and a pre-carved and routed body, so I can concentrate on finished and assembly/setup. If all goes well, I may venture further, but we'll wait and see how this turns out.
Anyway, I hope you can tolerate some dumb questions I may present.
Cheers
Edit: Oh, I just glanced at the thread 'Its A Blond by Lowtones. Drool
Absolutely gorgeous.
First of all welcome to the forum. I think that going the route you have gone for a first guitar is a great way to go. Feel free to ask questions and I'm sure you will get lots of answers. There is certainly a lot of members here with a world of experience. Just keep in mind that usually there is no definitive answer to most questions. Everyone has their own ideas and methods of doing things. They are usually just different approaches to the same task and usually have the same outcome. It's great to get several opinions or suggested methods to do something because then you can choose one or combine more than one method suggested to suit yourself. Keep us posted on your project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts