The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Very cool. A device that actually mechanically tunes the guitar for you. Why didn't I think of that! I'd like to see it in action.

·
Premium Member
19,649 Posts
There was a device discussed here and elswhere months back that basically did the same, but it was a big massive bridge with motorized gadgets for each string.

The video was amazing, but I suspect many people were put off by the cost and appearance. It was mounted on a Les Paul as well.

Ideas like this have been a long time coming and I see hem as a major step forward.

Keyboardists haven't had to worry about this crap (tuning) for decades. Guitarists of course are much more resistant to change and evolution.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
the original is/was called the trilogy. csny were using it, it weighed almost 7 lbs, and required gutting out 50% or more of the guitar's body. worked like the dickens though. i was under the impression a few years back that gibson invested in the idea, this might be the end result (gibson had better not be stealing ideas, what with their long history of litigiousness). this looks like a very cool development, i'm looking forward to playing one.

·
Premium Member
19,649 Posts
You haven't run a B3 with a generator for a while, have you? In order to be "in tune", a tonewheel organ relies on the 60 cycle freq. of the mains power supply. Generators are not quite as frequency stable as Ontario Power Generation. The sound of a freq. unstable B3 is best described as "moo-ing".

There are solutions out there, but it's always fun to hear/see someone experience the problem for the first time. They blame the guitarist first.

And yes, I am fully aware that Hammond made the last B3 in 1974-ish!!!!!!
How many keyboardists do you see dragging a B3 around? Compare that to how many guitarists you see using old Gibbies, Fenders and playing through tube amps.

·
Premium Member
19,649 Posts
$899.99 USD... http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Powertune-Kit?full_sku=360658.375

Pass!

Personally I don't need or use that many tunings and for that price I could get 2 decent guitars... takes care of 2 different tunings. Plus I'll have 2 more guitars, lol!

I'll stick to the traditional guitar --> pedals --> tube amp.
Personally I think the merit is not in being able to change tunings quickly, although that can't be discounted, but in the ability to keep a guitar in tune.

I know EVERYbody here will say they have no trouble keeping a non locking guitar in tune, and yet, go to any club or even some concerts and listen carefully.

Not many seem to be in tune all that well.

To me, being able to focus on playing and performing as opposed to getting in and staying in tune is easily worth $900.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Does anyone remember the little tuner with the built in motorized string winder that came out back in the early nineties? It was basically a guitar tuner that you held on your tunning pegs and it would tune your guitar for you.

I remember it being praised by the company that was selling them, but in reality how hard is it to turn the tunning pegs on your guitar?

I haven't seen one of those tuners in years, and this pretty much looks like a more evolved version of that...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Personally I think the merit is not in being able to change tunings quickly, although that can't be discounted, but in the ability to keep a guitar in tune.

I know EVERYbody here will say they have no trouble keeping a non locking guitar in tune, and yet, go to any club or even some concerts and listen carefully.

Not many seem to be in tune all that well.

To me, being able to focus on playing and performing as opposed to getting in and staying in tune is easily worth $900.
Personally I just get close to pitch on the tuner, pull out some octave shapes and use my ear to get the strings synched up right with each other so the vibrating is gone... then I'm done. As long as the strings are stretched the guitar will usually stay in tune pretty well.

I will agree about a lot of people not being in tune... I'd say atleast 70% of the local bands I've seen have been out of tune. But in their defense some of them had guitars with floating tremolos... so if they didn't tune in the same position that they were playing then yeah, it's gonna be out of tune. Maybe they don't know that... who knows hah. But guys with guitars with fixed bridges... ugh... I don't know what's up.

I suppose it has it's benefits but I for one am gonna' stick with my ears and multiple guitars lol.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I think it's pretty damn cool!! The staying in tune part isn't the big thing for me. I have no problem with that at all now. I just like all the different tunings with out really having to do anything. The price isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I wont be running out to buy one, but maybe one day.

·
Premium Member
19,649 Posts
Personally I just get close to pitch on the tuner, pull out some octave shapes and use my ear to get the strings synched up right with each other so the vibrating is gone... then I'm done. As long as the strings are stretched the guitar will usually stay in tune pretty well.

I will agree about a lot of people not being in tune... I'd say atleast 70% of the local bands I've seen have been out of tune. But in their defense some of them had guitars with floating tremolos... so if they didn't tune in the same position that they were playing then yeah, it's gonna be out of tune. Maybe they don't know that... who knows hah. But guys with guitars with fixed bridges... ugh... I don't know what's up.

I suppose it has it's benefits but I for one am gonna' stick with my ears and multiple guitars lol.
Ears are great but using them to tune on stage is a non starter.

Silent tuning is absolutely necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that link from Musicians Friend is giving people the wrong idea. From what I read on the Gibson site, you can only get this on the Les Paul as an option on certain models. You CANNOT buy the unit alone. And as far as I know Gibson hasn't disclosed how much they are selling this particular model of the Les Paul for. If you know different please correct me.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ears are great but using them to tune on stage is a non starter.

Silent tuning is absolutely necessary.
Tune all the guitars before you go to the gig, I keep a guitar for every tuning I use lol.

There's also a PowerTune system for the SG and a Flying V.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Gibson-SG-Powertune-Kit?full_sku=360659.081

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Gibson-Flying-V-Powertune-Kit?full_sku=360663.375

So I'd say you can buy the unit seperate, lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts