The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself in this thread; as I am a big fan guitar pedals. Specifically budget pedals from Joyo, Caline, Mosky, Outlaw fx, Ammoon, Tomsline, Aroma, NUx, Zoom, Eno, Behringer and more.
I play bass on a ESP 6 string with Radial and Sansamp preamps, my tube-works mosfet 150 with limiter died :( and I love my Dean electric guitars. I play on SS amps for guitar and love them. I have a Randall RG200 g2 ( 212 combo Celestions) a, Ibanez 150h tbx (Eminence Wizard Semi Closed Cab), and a Peavey vyper vip1 with a modified speaker out @8ohms for a practice amp (sounds great with a 412 cab lol).
I have played on many tube amps. I do love the Peavey xxx and Mesa Lone Star, but appreciate SS amps as my personal preference.

Today I was playing on my Germanium Fuzz Face Clone and a Tomsline (aroma) G Fuzz. For 30$, I can't believe I have a mini germanium fuzz face that sounds as good as my hand-built clone. I found a great pair of Japanese 2SB germanium transistors from the 60's, elna capacitors, metal resistors, alpha pots, and my 30$ mini sounds 95 % as good, lol.
The Fuzz Face Circuit is great because its simple!
I am always learning and getting better at building pedals. I think its almost as fun as playing!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Welcome aboard, great intro. Is that a traynor or a epiphone amp you have there? I hope to see some future pedal build threads

·
Registered
24,521 Posts
You got lucky with those trannies, brother. Best Rangemaster I ever made used a 2SB172 cannibalized from a transistor radio I bought in 1965 with money from a summer job picking strawberries. I've acquired many germanium transistors since that time, and none has lived up to that one.

People may look down their nose at the various "budget" pedal lines you mention, but they often offer remarkable value for the money. They may not hold up to a world tour, but they can sound great, and that's what matters. I do have to say, however, that, having built a dozen things in those teeny 1590A Hammond boxes, it is as nervewracking as building a ship in a bottle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is very true, I like the larger Hammond boxes, so i can avoid the stress of building with those smaller enclosures, but I bought a bunch of the 1590a boxes cheap from a Canadian company out of Ottawa. So I am using them for my next few builds,lol.
Thanks for the replies!
I will have some build reports coming, looking at doing some single knob fuzzes and maybe a Randall type preamp clone.
I have as much fun buying the these cheapy Chinese pedals, as building, so i am not in huge rush, lol. They are great for inspiring new tones, even if they don't hold up on the road, for what I do they are awesome!

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
A Warm welcome to the GC forum!
ENJOY all that this wonderful forum has to offer!

Nice to read that someone else enjoys SS amps. I have an old Champion 30 ($80.00 on Kijiji) that I cleaned up and a DV Mark Little Jazz (Italian made, 50 watts, Class D, 8" speaker, ~$38.00/lb.) that I bought on an impulse this past summer.
I was convinced that I needed to spoil myself.

I'll be interested in reading your build reports and learning more about electronics from your various threads and posts .

BTW....Listowel is my home town and where my father's family was for many years.

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Welcome! I grew up in Mount Forest, and have lots of family still there. If you're looking to talk, buy, sell gear, I know a guy in MF that may be interested. Where do you go to get your hands on new gear? Music shops are scarce up there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to the forum our new good friend! I think it’s cool that your experimenting with building pedals and trying some new things. Do you ever build clone pedal kits for people?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Used to jam through a couple rg twins. Forget the model but simple reliable and hard to get a bad sound.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
Welcome

1 - 12 of 12 Posts