The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have an issue with Intonating the B string ...

The open B is fine and in tune however when I fret the string at the 12th its sharp. The saddle cannot be adjusted any further, I guess I will need to reverse the saddle to get a touch more room for adjustment?...Is there another option? Also, I do not recall having this issue before, any suggestion as to why this is happening?

Les Paul Custom

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
What have you changed lately? I'd say flipping the saddle is probably the best move, unless you can figure out what caused it and reverse that.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
"No recent adjustments to the height...is adjusting the string eight a possible fix?"

If it's too high it'll go sharp when you fret it.

Although if it was OK before and the new strings aren't heavier it should be the same.

But weather changes could affect the setup so maybe check the relief. If that has changed it could be higher at the 12th and therefore go sharp when you fret it.

Probably don't need to mention this but if you push too hard when you fret it the string will go sharp particularly if the frets are high. I'm always doing that with electrics because I mainly play acoustics with 13s on them so 10s too me are like rubber bands.

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
That's odd that it's on the B string.
I've had to flip saddles before, but only either the G or low E string.

I remember having an issue intonating after pinning the tailpiece down on an LP before.
I had to raise it back up a smidge to get everything in order.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"No recent adjustments to the height...is adjusting the string eight a possible fix?"

If it's too high it'll go sharp when you fret it.

Although if it was OK before and the new strings aren't heavier it should be the same.

But weather changes could affect the setup so maybe check the relief. If that has changed it could be higher at the 12th and therefore go sharp when you fret it.

Probably don't need to mention this but if you push too hard when you fret it the string will go sharp particularly if the frets are high. I'm always doing that with electrics because I mainly play acoustics with 13s on them so 10s too me are like rubber bands.
I dont like messing with the truss rod, so I will leave it to a guitar tech friend of mine...
This has me baffled as Sulphur mentions the B string is so unusual. I think the weather change has something to do with it as the guitar has been n sitting against an outside wall. We have had some strong windy cold nights lately (1 month) so placing my guitar stand in another area of the house with insulated interior walls is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I seem to have an issue with Intonating the B string ...

The open B is fine and in tune however when I fret the string at the 12th its sharp. The saddle cannot be adjusted any further, I guess I will need to reverse the saddle to get a touch more room for adjustment?...Is there another option? Also, I do not recall having this issue before, any suggestion as to why this is happening?

Les Paul Custom
Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the suggestions!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts