The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone around here doing some intermittent fasting? Just started recently, and at 17/7 pattern seems to help a lot keeping my energy levels consistent throughout the day, despite being pretty active (5 runs a week, + some pilates, strengthening, hiking and biking).

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I've been doing it for 4 years now. Started with bulletproof coffee but moved to a 19/5 after a few months. I agree with all the energy level stuff (strength training 3 times a week), but the biggest benefit for me was not having to think about work lunches, bringing a bunch of Tupperware to the office etc. Big fan!

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Is that 19 hours fasting 5 hours eating?

I might be the opposite of that, lol!

Will I lose weight even if i binge eat in the 5 hours?

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Is that 19 hours fasting 5 hours eating?
I might be the opposite of that, lol!
Will I lose weight even if i binge eat in the 5 hours?
Yes, 19 off, 5 on. It sounds more difficult than it really is. I still drink coffee (black, nothing added) during my "off" hours. As far as binging, I'd say absolutely. During lockdown I maintained my fasting hours but ate way more snacks, chips etc and didn't gain weight but more importantly didn't notice significant changes to my physique (such a cringey word).

The science in a nutshell is that in a fasting state your body will utilize energy sources you wouldn't normally in a fed state. So even if you eat a lot, the way your body prioritizes energy sources (storage vs burning) will be different. It's an easy way to lose weight without having to actually "do" anything, give it a try!

·
Premium Member
3,540 Posts
I accidentally fell into this before it was cool - not a big breakfast guy. These days I find if I eat during the day I just feel tired and bloated.

Certain activities ( being bored outside of the house; camping) do make me super hungry though. Otherwise I can work in the yard or building things all day and not really feel like eating.

I don't think I'm losing any weight (I did for a bit then plateaued ) but I feel better. That's probably a function of no longer biking to work every day and unhealthy food choices.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
I've heard of this but thought it was more like skip breakfast, which would be maybe 12 to 15 hours since eating last at 7 or 8 at night.
So eat from noon till 6pm, then nothing? Only drinks like water or tea, black coffee, etc. ? It's probably doable, not sure how long though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I was surprised how easy it was for me to slip into OMAD. About 4 months now doing that - but I may go back to 2 meals at 20/4 split - though I don't see a need for it yet. Just ain't hungry any more. I thought it was my age that I had all these aches and pains, wrong was I - they're all gone. Annoying long time minor issues disappeared too. It's all about insulin resistance.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I need to do this. Thanks for posting this thread. It’s motivated me. It’s only taken me 5 decades to figure out it’s called breakfast (break fast) for a reason.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think my doc said it best, he's an old guy way past retirement who keeps working because he loves to practice medicine (he must be 80 something).

He told me that the body's ranking for processing food is right up there with breathing, heart beating and brain activity. Other than basic functions, the body collectively pretty much drops everything to process & assimilate food. When you don't feed it every 3 to 4 hours like most people in the G7 do, body functions have less to do - so it repairs, repairs and more repairs.

I believed him because his common sense is never wrong. But when it started happening to me, it was pretty awesome.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The thing works. Just remember to ease into the breakfast, and remember to eat at your set time last. This was the most difficult part for me, as I ate around 6pm and was often not hungry at 8pm...

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Go look up Dr. Berg om You Tube. Fasting absolutely rocks. Once you get used to it, it becomes a piece of cake. I can get buy eating one nice big meal per day. I lose weight, sleep like a baby and feel fine. Keep your protein up, watch the carbs but some pasta and potatoes is fine from time to time. Moderate exercise everyday is a must.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I've been doing Keto and intermittent fasting since last March. I'm down 51 pounds. I'm a very slim 150. I feel fantastic. Initially I thought intermittent fasting was a means to an end but I actually enjoy it. I do 3 days a week one meal a day and the other 4 days 3 meals. Every 3 months I alternate between a 48 hour fast and a 72 hour. Before all this I was on my way to becoming a diabetic and had high blood pressure. I also suffered from severe acid reflux. All that is gone now as his life style reduces inflammation.
I've learned alot from Dr Eric Berg, Thomas Delauren, Dr Mindy and Dr Becky Gillaspy. Dr Mindy in particular specializes in Intermittent and prolonged fasting techniques.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
I've been doing it since January and love it as well. Not as much a weight loss plan for me but better focus, less "brain fog" and maintaining energy levels. I follow an app which changes up the weekly fasting times so the body does not acclimate to specific fasting periods. I've gained 5-8 lbs in the last couple months due to higher stress levels combined with the end of summer parties but Intermittent Fasting has kept me in check.

One key is drinking lots of water.

·
Registered
901 Posts
It's really interesting hearing about your experiences. I've seen it work for other people too. My wife did it for a time. I do think it works really well for some.

I'm not sure it would work for me. My metabolism is pretty fast and I like to lift.
I eat pretty clean too, but often, in order to recover. With IF, I'd be worried about putting myself into an unintended caloric deficit and not recovering sufficiently.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'm doing 16-8, lost some weight but been slipping lately because we had a big move, company, etc. I know, I know. Back on it now. I think Keto is BS, just another fad diet. Michael Pollan said
"Eat food, mostly plants, not so much" It's the "not so much" part that gets me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lots of good discussion in here. I’m a bit of a fitness/nutrition nut and love it.

I’ve been using intermittent fasting for about 8 years. What I’ve personally found works best is flexibility, not beating yourself up if you eat at 1130 instead of waiting until 12. Or if life gets in the way and you have a late supper. Your body doesn’t know and doesn’t care.

Personally, I also do a 30 minute cardio with 1.5hr weight training every single day fasted then break fast with a protein shake including MCT, creating and collagen.

All to say, it’s experimentation, what works for someone else will likely not work for you. Take a bit from everyone’s experience, tailor to yourself and good luck with the journey.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m also reminded of a funny quote when I mentioned to an older colleague years ago I was doing IMF:

“Millennials are so clever. You guys took being lazy and skipping breakfast and rebranded it as something scientific.”

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's really interesting hearing about your experiences. I've seen it work for other people too. My wife did it for a time. I do think it works really well for some.

I'm not sure it would work for me. My metabolism is pretty fast and I like to lift.
I eat pretty clean too, but often, in order to recover. With IF, I'd be worried about putting myself into an unintended caloric deficit and not recovering sufficiently.
Howdy! The caloric deficit is a real thing. I’m a serious lifter myself. I get around this by tracking everything with “my fitness pal” app to make sure I’m eating enough to maintain. It’ll be surprising some days I’m full with 3,000 calories during my feed window but I’ll see I need to eat 4,200 (or whatever) on the day to make sure I’m topped up and ready for the next day.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts

You should have a look at the videos on youtube by Thomas DeLauer. He is also a lifter. He gets pretty heavy in to the technical terms. More technical than even the doctors that I follow.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts