The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a well done little video on the most common chemical elements related to life.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
I really like this explanation...

I didn't even bother watching because reason dictates, "How in the world would anyone be able to know that?"

·
Premium Member
12,962 Posts
That's a cool, though-provoking link. I love how science hardly ever throws anything out, they just keep building on what they know, gradually moving towards a better model. No one would ever say "what we wrote 200 years ago is correct and all this new crap is just noise and confusion". Even Einstein eventually had to admit that Quantum physics did not correlate with Newtonian physics, it wasn't just a smaller version of it - as much as he wanted to believe that super-enities 'didn't play dice with the universe'.

I really enjoy deGrasse Tyson, too. One of the best physics presenters on TV.

What steadly understands about science and the scientific method could be written on the head of a pin with a thick-tipped felt pen. The shear tonnage of what he doesn't know about this kind of thing would stun a 20 team of oxen in their tracks. And he admittedly prefers faith over education, so it is as it always will be.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
Watch the video Steadly. It answers your question if you choose to believe it.
Maybe I will if I can find enough spare time to dictate whether it's worth it.

With all the claims made over the years, it's best to take a lot of claims with a pinch of salt as we have seen such claims made and then they have found to be wrong. The universe is so vast, anyone making claims that "they know" is setting themselves up for a good chance to be embarrassed.

Reactions: scotth

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
Wow, @Steadfastly, you make it exceptionally hard to maintain respect.
Let's see. When I went to school there were 9 known planets. Now, we have an unknown number. Scientists and astronomers have had to change their views many, many times over the years as they have found their theories and scientific "finds" erroneous. I have found over the years it's better to be a bit cynical than naive. As the proverb goes; "The naive person believes every word but the shrewd person ponders each step".

Reactions: scotth

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Let's see. When I went to school there were 9 known planets. Now, we have an unknown number. Scientists and astronomers have had to change their views many, many times over the years as they have found their theories and scientific "finds" erroneous. I have found over the years it's better to be a bit cynical than naive. As the proverb goes; "The naive person believes every word but the shrewd person ponders each step".
Double wow, @Steadfastly, that did nothing good to help your credibility.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
Double wow, @Steadfastly, that did nothing good to help your credibility.
What is really credulous to me is that you seem to think that your opinion of my view on things is important to me.:D

Reactions: Lola

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
What is really credulous to me is that you seem to think that your opinion of my view on things is important to me.:D
What your comments have made clear to me is that nothing from or about you is relevant to me. But please note that I was one of the last ones around here that tried to give you some benefit of doubt. Serves me right. That's now done.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
Whether science is always right on or not, you may find the following information intersesting.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It appears that someone ALWAYS has to get in the last word.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Whether science is always right on or not, you may find the following information interesting.
Steadfastly, there is nothing surprising or shocking about this. Nor are you illuminating us by telling the tale of your childhood when you were learning about the planets. Science is not religious dogma. To use your very own words, you are not being "shrewd," you actually appear to be living in the Dark Ages. And there is nothing "naive" about science. It is not blind faith that is put into concepts such as gravity or evolution. Science advances in many ways, for instance by adjusting observational techniques and equipment (the errors in data collection in your latest example) and redefining its objects of study based on recent discoveries (how exactly do we NOW define a "planet"?). I regret even having to get into this discussion, but it's annoying that you chose to respond to a very interesting post by the OP with such a lazy and dismissive remark, rejecting immediately the legitimacy of the science behind it, simultaneously acknowledging you have no desire to even look into it.

It's a shame that Canada offers free education to everyone and it's so wasted. Millions of people around the world would risk their lives to be in our situation. And here we are entering a debate that for all I know may end up with Steadfastly claiming that the world is flat.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts